Any Tackle Organisation Tips?

kiwicraig

I am looking for better ways to manage all my tackle.  Right now I have one big table bag that has multiple removable trays, which I divide by type. E.g one tray for sinkers, one for hooks etc.  When I go out I grab the bag and take everything.  But finding what I need is a pain and I tend to end up with trays all over the boat.

Leader is a particular challenge - so bonus points for any great suggestions here.  

I'm thinking there is some tackle that I only ever need on the boat. Like snapper leads and metal vertical jigs. Anyone retro fitted storage on a boat?

Edited by kiwicraig
  • Like 1

I have a Plano tackle box that has 3 slide out trays. The top one I use for jig heads and swivels. The middle one for hooks and the bottom one for smaller sinkers. I take one tray out, grab what I want and slide it back in before I take the next tray out. For leader material, I have a dispenser I bought that takes a few rolls and I’ve stuck them to the side if the boat underneath the gunwhale. Bigger items like knife jigs and skirted lures go in a couple of storage compartments in the boat.

On 11/5/2018 at 8:57 AM, kiwicraig said:

I am looking for better ways to manage all my tackle.  Right now I have one big table bag that has multiple removable trays, which I divide by type. E.g one tray for sinkers, one for hooks etc.  When I go out I grab the bag and take everything.  But finding what I need is a pain and I tend to end up with trays all over the boat.

Leader is a particular challenge - so bonus points for any great suggestions here.  

I'm thinking there is some tackle that I only ever need on the boat. Like snapper leads and metal vertical jigs. Anyone retro fitted storage on a boat?

Hi kiwicraig Plano make a "line spool box" which holds 6 spools of leader/line. It is the best container for the purpose I've ever come across and I've had one for many years. There is a rubber 'button' with a small hole for the line to go through so you don't even have to open the box to pull out what you need. Just use a permanent marker to mark the strength above each hole. Saves mucking around looking for/untangling spools as all in one place. They're still on the market around $12. No doubt there are other versions on the Chinese market. Also have a small unknown brand circular one that has 3 tiny spools inside it and a line cutter on the side, which is my Luderick leader line version. Sorry can't show you as it's in Kennards storage with 95% of my tackle.  Cheers Waza

• Like 1

I had a similar problem like you did. I didnt like bringing things i know i wont be using. I ended splitting them to 3 dedicated bags.

1st for beach/rock, 2nd for egi, 3rd for estuary. if i was going for a fish, i wouldnt be needing my estuary gear if iwas spinning off the rocks or vice versa. andi could easily put some squid jigs in a plano box and shove it in my rock bag if needed.

• Like 4

Like waza said, there are spool holders for less than 15 bucks.  They do a good job of holding your leader.  I only take it when im lure fishing.

I generally fish plastics on my boat and have built up quite a large collection of jigheads/plasctics over they years.  I have split them into species containers. So 1 for bream jig heads, 1 for flathead jig heads, 1 for mulloway jigheads, then some larger containers 8-10L to store my plastics for each species.  I just decide what species I want to target and then usually say "fu$% it, bring em all" hahaha.  Atleast they are in separate containers ready to go on the boat

I cant remember the last time I bait fished for anything other than mulloway from the boat, so most of my gear is related to mulloway, but I do have a dedicated bag for bait mulloway.  I do on occasion like to bait fish for whiting, so I have a small container at the ready for that also

Oh yeah and I have a bag dedicated for squid jigs and bait gathering.

I have also seem some seats with trays underneath.  They are integrated into the underneath of the seat and you simply pull out the storage container(plano style).  It wouldnt be too hard to fibreglass something up or have one made from ally if you cant buy them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, xerotao said:

I had a similar problem like you did. I didnt like bringing things i know i wont be using. I ended splitting them to 3 dedicated bags.

1st for beach/rock, 2nd for egi, 3rd for estuary. if i was going for a fish, i wouldnt be needing my estuary gear if iwas spinning off the rocks or vice versa. andi could easily put some squid jigs in a plano box and shove it in my rock bag if needed.

Same but I don't use bags rather Plano boxes.

One for bay/estuary, one for beach/rock, one for open water/deepsea, one that's just a soft plastic box, one smaller box for freshwater fly. 

My main box is this Plano but there is one to suit everyone own needs, I use the sides for spools of leader & there is a good open tray on top as well for things like braid scissors or whatever.

The good thing about the 3 tray compartment in this model is that its compatible with most plano plastic boxes so I have a couple of spares that if I need to I can just swap out a whole container with other gear for a particular day.

http://www.planomolding.com/fishing/tackle-systems/guide-series-angled-tackle-system-3600

I just looked for sales when buying mine, especially the xmas sales 👍

Edit: I also forgot about my sinker box that I store all my bulk sinkers in & draw on as I need them.

sinkers.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Same but I don't use bags rather Plano boxes.

One for bay/estuary, one for beach/rock, one for open water/deepsea, one that's just a soft plastic box, one smaller box for freshwater fly. 

My main box is this Plano but there is one to suit everyone own needs, I use the sides for spools of leader & there is a good open tray on top as well for things like braid scissors or whatever.

The good thing about the 3 tray compartment in this model is that its compatible with most plano plastic boxes so I have a couple of spares that if I need to I can just swap out a whole container with other gear for a particular day.

http://www.planomolding.com/fishing/tackle-systems/guide-series-angled-tackle-system-3600

Yep, that’s the one I use. I swap the trays out if I need, or I just pop a tray in a bag if I’m going landbased..

I pack everything into seperate small boxs and label them up- so i have a box of small terminals, large terminals, small jigheads, large, game terminals, etc etc. I gutted a canterlivered Plano 747 box that I had and that acts as a water proof "shell'out on the boat- i just add and remove the small boxes as i need themSoft plastics and game lures all go in soft pack rolls or bags, at home i bought a bunch of those cheap Bunnings plastic "drawers" and everything that stays at home goes in them.

Depends what works for you. Some prefer one large multi-tray tackle box, others like to pack super light...particularly when flicking plastics or trying to locate the fish on a large rock platform for example. 

Personally, I have about 7 smaller boxes - each for a target species as I like to pick a species or location and pack accordingly.

For example One box is just for blackfish which has a few floats, barrel sinkers, swivels, FC leader and hooks.

The others are for bread n butter species such as bream, then a surf box, rock fishing box, pelagic box and a shark box. Also have a lure/SP box. 

I used to have a big single tacklebox which had everything in it but found I was always more tempted to target something else if my luck wasnt up with those species. Plus I would always end up exhausted from lugging around kilos worth of tackle I would never use when walking fair distances. Having said that... You will lack the versatility doing what I do. 

Entirely your call with what works best for you and your style of fishing.