George's river flathead

Caple666

Hey raiders 

I have been a member on this site for some time now and i am yet to put up a report so i thought it was time. On saturday i took my son who's 5 and my old man out in the tinny on the George's for a fish. Beautiful day for it, left the boat ramp at flower power about 11am, no real target species in mind just wanted to get the young fella on the water and hopefully get some fish. We cruised up river to around picnic point, we stoped for a couple of drifts just using prawn for bait on a running sinker rig with a long leader. First drift and bang my rod goes off.  After a few runs i could tell it was a decent flatty so i passed the rod over to my boy to let him reel it in. He was over the moon when a nice fat 51cm flatty came up to the surface which i quickly netted and boated followed by High fives all round 👊 few more drifts for a small bream and it was time to move spots.

Went up river a little and drifted the edge of a nice little sand bank i thought looked good. My old man pulled up an undersize flathead but that was about it. Wind started to pick up about 2pm so lines up and back to the boat ramp it is. Just as we started to putt back up river water police on jetski pull us over ( great 😣 ). Apparently i was going a touch to quick woops but all was good a little warning to slow down, a safety check and we were on our way. Great day out overall.

20181110_130528.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Caple666 said:

Hey raiders 

I have been a member on this site for some time now and i am yet to put up a report so i thought it was time. On saturday i took my son who's 5 and my old man out in the tinny on the George's for a fish. Beautiful day for it, left the boat ramp at flower power about 11am, no real target species in mind just wanted to get the young fella on the water and hopefully get some fish. We cruised up river to around picnic point, we stoped for a couple of drifts just using prawn for bait on a running sinker rig with a long leader. First drift and bang my rod goes off.  After a few runs i could tell it was a decent flatty so i passed the rod over to my boy to let him reel it in. He was over the moon when a nice fat 51cm flatty came up to the surface which i quickly netted and boated followed by High fives all round 👊 few more drifts for a small bream and it was time to move spots.

Went up river a little and drifted the edge of a nice little sand bank i thought looked good. My old man pulled up an undersize flathead but that was about it. Wind started to pick up about 2pm so lines up and back to the boat ramp it is. Just as we started to putt back up river water police on jetski pull us over ( great 😣 ). Apparently i was going a touch to quick woops but all was good a little warning to slow down, a safety check and we were on our way. Great day out overall.

20181110_130528.jpg

The smile on you son's face says it all. Good idea to get them started early, then they'll be hooked for life.

I'm not 100% sure coz I don't have a boat, (and you might already know this) but I think if you're drift fishing you're better off using a paternoster rig.

cheers

Richard

Edited by nutsaboutfishing

3 hours ago, frankS said:

3 generations in a boat and a fish to boot, well done  and thanks for sharing. I'm sure we will see many more reports from you now that you have the boat up and going.

Frank

Cheers frank was awesome to have myself, my son and my old man all fishing in my boat. Its been a long time coming. Definitely more reports to come 👍

2 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

The smile on you son's face says it all. Good idea to get them started early, then they'll be hooked for life.

I'm not 100% sure coz I don't have a boat, (and you might already know this) but I think if you're drift fishing you're better off using a paternoster rig.

cheers

Richard

He was stoked. Flathead is his favorite fish but we hadn't landed a decent one till this one so he was super happy. Also its the first fish he held all by himself. Thats it aye if i can hook him in early ill have a fishing buddy for life 👌

I would normal have a paternoster rig on atleast one rod but it can get a bit hard when you have the younge fella there (tangles and hooks everywhere). Thats why i was just using a running sinker rig. Thanks richard

Good work mate, the humble flaty is the best for kids and us grownups to chase, I will start my summer campaign this weekend in my backyard being the Georges , my then 5 year old son (6 now going on 10)  has  a pb of 57cm on a plastic hooked and reeled in by himself so 60 club for him this season. Nothing beats the young fellas out doing us old boys, keep the reports coming! And if see a little white runabout with father n son flicking come over and say g'day! 

IMG_2876.PNG

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ribs said:

Good work mate, the humble flaty is the best for kids and us grownups to chase, I will start my summer campaign this weekend in my backyard being the Georges , my then 5 year old son (6 now going on 10)  has  a pb of 57cm on a plastic hooked and reeled in by himself so 60 club for him this season. Nothing beats the young fellas out doing us old boys, keep the reports coming! And if see a little white runabout with father n son flicking come over and say g'day! 

IMG_2876.PNG

what a little champion..... a 57cm flatty on plastics at 5 years old 👍 my pb for flattys on plastics is only 55cm atm lol aren't all 6 years going on 10 😂 gotta love the aggressive nature of a flathead  they will eat just about anything. good luck on your first summer campaign this weekend  and i hope your young fella gets to join the 60 club the season or better yet the metre club 👌 the Georges being my local, i will be sure to keep my eye out for you guys.

cheers caple

On 11/14/2018 at 8:54 AM, Caple666 said:

what a little champion..... a 57cm flatty on plastics at 5 years old 👍 my pb for flattys on plastics is only 55cm atm lol aren't all 6 years going on 10 😂 gotta love the aggressive nature of a flathead  they will eat just about anything. good luck on your first summer campaign this weekend  and i hope your young fella gets to join the 60 club the season or better yet the metre club 👌 the Georges being my local, i will be sure to keep my eye out for you guys.

cheers caple

Cheers bud, he got a new rod reel ($400 worth I told the Mrs $200) for his 6th bday in may as he lost a couple of good fish on his kids $20 combo, but  yet to christen it , so hopefully a fish of any size for him this weekend .... oh and me! 

As Donna said it's all about the kids, love seeing his face when a little croc appears from the depths ... priceless! 

awesome he must be stoked about the upgrade. hahaha $200 is close enough i say. i find it funny to watch them kids combos struggle with a good fish though lol (but also nervous). 

not much better than seeing a smile from ear to ear on the kids faces 😤

sorry for the late reply ive been busy but did you manage to get out for a fish on the weekend ??