South of Jibbon

Yowie

Mate pulled the pin last night, so I headed out in my tinny rather than his bigger boat. Decided to head south of Jibbon Bombie for a change of scenery.

Before I launched my boat at mum's place, I had a throw in for a bream seeing that the tide was near high. A good one was there and took a bit of salted yakka. It took me around 2 of the neighbour's mooring pilons before it came in.

Headed south of the Bombie just after sunrise to find that there was no wind, so no drift. Tried several spots for only spikies, so kept a couple for bait.

Headed out a bit deeper than usual, then a slight breeze blew up for a slow drift. No spikies there but drifted across a patch of blue spots, then the wind stopped, the drift stopped, the bites stopped. Moved further out again, deeper water, and pulled out the 3 tiger flatties, then nothing for a while so headed for home.fish.jpeg.170_files.thumb.png.7fa44d5741949d927bbd31cf5d5dc2fb.png

For those who are interested, the flattie in the top of the photo is a Blue Spot, and the bottom flattie is a Long Spined or Spikey flattie. The head spines of the Spikey are very long compared to other flatties. Bit hard to see in the photo.fish.jpeg.171_files.thumb.png.2608a4d8fca7d67972b9cb63672e4fb9.png

This photo shows the different tail flags. The top one is the Spikey flattie, a black bar on the bottom and lighter colours above it. The bottom one is the Blue Spot, with several black bars on the tail.

fish.jpeg.172_files.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

All I can say yowie! You are guaranteed to get your two servings of fish a week as recommended. Well done champ!ย 

Cheers scratchie!!!ย 

Thanks Scratchie. Yes, 2 serves of fish a week (the wife says, "fish again, you're cooking it") :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Great bag of fish yowie.ย 

I find that the tigers are slightly better eating than the blue spots. And by far my fav is the marbled, albeit hard to come by.

The tigers are nice, kept those for myself. My brother is getting a few blue spot fillets, as is mum.

The blue spots are still good: as for marbled flatties, only ever caught a couple, and none for some time now.

Edited by Yowie

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

The tigers are nice, kept those for myself. My brother is getting a few blue spot fillets, as is mum.

The blue spots are still good: as for marbled flatties, only ever caught a couple, and none for some time now.

I find that the marbled flatheadย prefer deeper water which explains why you may not get them often

Though i have caught them a few times in 30m or less

Edited by GoingFishing

I headed out off Jibbon Point and further north this morning around 9.

Nothing.

Headed further North but same same.

Came back toward Shark Island and around to Salmon Hall.

Nothing.

Im a new mug at fishing after a 40 year break ๐Ÿค’

What gear is everyone running around Bate Bay and into Port Hacking ?

What bait etc ?

I donโ€™t care what I catch at this stage as long as it looks like a fish ๐Ÿ˜‚

Still learning rig the rods and just get organised.

Trying lures and some baited hooks also.

Ahhhh the serenity.

Running around in a 4.75 Trex with blue lid that does the job. ๐Ÿ‘

Any advice welcome.

7 hours ago, bbthefe said:

I headed out off Jibbon Point and further north this morning around 9.

Nothing.

ย 

What gear is everyone running around Bate Bay and into Port Hacking ?

What bait etc ?

ย 

When fishing outside, I use a snapper lead on the bottom, depending on wind and drift speed, 4 ounce for yesterday with minimal drift, usually 6 ounce with a bit of drift, 8 ounce for windier days.

2 droppers above that with 2/0 hooks, spaced 40 or 50 cms apart, and a swivel above that. Others probably use bigger hooks. I use the Mustad red coloured long shanks, if the line is kept tight, the flatties, or other fish, rarely swallow the hook.

I use 20 pound mono, and for the line below the swivel, I use toughened mono. It is more resistant to abrasion from the fish's teeth, unless jackets, barracouta or other toothy critters grab the line.

Any bait will do, but the best I find (and the cheapest) is to use fillets of the small spikey flatties. Usually plenty of them about, and no legal size. The spikey fillets are fairly tough. If you are fishing for other fish, most other baits will do.

The ocean flatties will eat anything looking at what I find in their stomachs when cleaning them.

Edited by Yowie
  • Thanks 1