Soft Plastics vs Metal Blades

fortula999

Blades can be better for working an area quickly and keeping contact with the bottom in deeper water/ rougher conditions. They are a really fun way to fish but are easily snagged up in structure and can be pricey.

Plastics are more diverse and you can fish them in a lot more ways. Lightly weighted plastics allow you to impart quite a natural action with the lures, which tends to get better results. Plastics can also be slightly cheaper. 

It really depends on what you're chasing and the conditions, both have their place in the tackle box. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, finbar12 said:

Blades can be better for working an area quickly and keeping contact with the bottom in deeper water/ rougher conditions. They are a really fun way to fish but are easily snagged up in structure and can be pricey.

Plastics are more diverse and you can fish them in a lot more ways. Lightly weighted plastics allow you to impart quite a natural action with the lures, which tends to get better results. Plastics can also be slightly cheaper. 

It really depends on what you're chasing and the conditions, both have their place in the tackle box. 

I agree with this. Both plastics and blades have their place, but blades really shine when the wind is up and its difficult to maintain contact with a lightly weighted plastic in deeper water

A lot of guys have trouble with blades and most try to fish them the same as plastics, which often doesn't work. I find blades fish better with short (30cm), aggressive twitches with longer pauses. 

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

I agree with this. Both plastics and blades have their place, but blades really shine when the wind is up and its difficult to maintain contact with a lightly weighted plastic in deeper water

A lot of guys have trouble with blades and most try to fish them the same as plastics, which often doesn't work. I find blades fish better with short (30cm), aggressive twitches with longer pauses. 

That describes me! What's a usual retrieve? E.g. like a japanese-style egi retrieve (whip whip whip) then rod down, wait 20sec then repeat?

Edited by anthman

1 hour ago, anthman said:

That describes me! What's a usual retrieve? E.g. like a japanese-style egi retrieve (whip whip whip) then rod down, wait 20sec then repeat?

My most successful retrieve is 1 short, fast lift, let it settle back on the bottom and leave it for 5-10 seconds before repeating. Note: I am fishing them along ribbon weed drop offs in around 2.5-4 metres.

A lot of fish are hooked on the outside of the mouth and I'm convinced the fish comes in and checks the lure out during the pause and the short lift jags it in the face. So many bream and whiting are hooked under the chin. That's why your hooks must be kept razor sharp.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Thanks GH,

I'm one of those guys who has trouble with blades. I shall try your advice. Would I be correct in saying I'd be better off using a 7 foot 2-4kg rather than an 8 foot 1-3kg, reason being the heavier rod will give more action/vibration?

cheers

Richard

PS just read Anthman's post, it's good to know i'm not the only one.

Edited by nutsaboutfishing

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

My most successful retrieve is 1 short, fast lift, let it settle back on the bottom and leave it for 5-10 seconds before repeating. Note: I am fishing them along ribbon weed drop offs in around 2.5-4 metres.

A lot of fish are hooked on the outside of the mouth and I'm convinced the fish comes in and checks the lure out during the pause and the short lift jags it in the face. So many bream and whiting are hooked under the chin. That's why your hooks must be kept razor sharp.

Would a few quick winds on the reel do the same thing?

1 hour ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Thanks GH,

I'm one of those guys who has trouble with blades. I shall try your advice. Would I be correct in saying I'd be better off using a 7 foot 2-4kg rather than an 8 foot 1-3kg, reason being the heavier rod will give more action/vibration?

cheers

Richard

PS just read Anthman's post, it's good to know i'm not the only one.

Yeah, definitely use your 2-4kg. The heavier rod helps get that quick rise of the bottom that the fish like.

My rod of choice is a Duff X-860dsi. Its rated 1-5kg but fishing 1kg would be pushing your luck on this rod.

I  would say fast action of 1-3 rods - designed for rather light lures. Blades will give a bit of resistance in the water due to their shape and weight despite their small size.

I use 2-4kg for SP, however prefer 3-5kg for most blades (the rods are high graphite so the action is fast)

• Like 1