Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning near Lilli Pilli. Fish strips produced the trevally, red rock cod and the small crab. Not much else about and no surface action that I could see. It was a sandy bottom, so don't know what the cod was doing there, could have been moving between rocky haunts. Sent out a live yakka for swimming practice, but nothing touched it.

Moved to Maianbar flats after the tide had been rising for a while, pumped some nippers for 2 whiting, then a massive amount of kelp rolled along the flats and rolled into my line a few times and caused a few tangles. The kelp had probably broken away from outside after some big seas, and when that happens  it quite often rolls into the entrance and up the Hacking. Fished elsewhere for the other whiting and bream then headed home.

fish.jpeg.174_files.thumb.png.dd41809e213103717e6caeb52108024d.png

• Like 7

6 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Always good to come home with a feed. 🙂

It is.

The rock cod fillets were small but chunky, bread crumbed and pan fried with the whiting. Washed down with a bottle of Riesling, quite tasty.

Rock COD is poor man's lobster.. Very nice white firm flesh.. Well worth the effort of filleting and skinning. I get them fairly regularly outside of the Hacking, never done so inside... It may have been a little lost Yowie :)

Edited by bardi

7 hours ago, bardi said:

Rock COD is poor man's lobster.. Very nice white firm flesh.. Well worth the effort of filleting and skinning. I get them fairly regularly outside of the Hacking, never done so inside... It may have been a little lost Yowie :)

That is the 3rd one I have caught up the Hacking over the years.