Live bait tank plumbing

lakelad

Yup. That offset drain looks the goods. That’s  what I was thinking. With the tap you can save drilling the bung hole. If you find you absolutely need to, you can always drill it later.

Cheers Z

Edited by zmk1962

Guest Guest123456789

Hey Lakelad, I’ve been reading your post with interest. Zoran has helped me out a lot also, even called him on the weekend to fix an electrical issue with my sounder.

thought id share a pic of my live bait tank.

You can see the metal water scoop near the bottom of the hull. Just remember to keep it as far away from the prop otherwise when underway you could create cavitation and then your outboard will suck in air and not water and get damaged. Mine sits in between channels hard against the bottom to minimise exposure to water which prevents it getting fouled on weed or timber and damaging the hull.

My pump is 360gph. The one inlet and 2 outlets are 20mm, inlet plumbed into bottom of tank as you are thinking which is the right approach IMO. My tank itself is 33 litres but once you factor in the outlets placement it’s more like 25 litres. 

The white and red ball valve (Bunnings) effectively isolates water supply when I don’t want to use it from the scoop.

the outlets and inlets are black plastic philmac brand types (Bunnings). These are attached using stainless settl hose clamps (Bunnings).

you cant see it but I also have a one way valve on the inlet inside the boat (bunnings). This is a must.

to drain it I just use the bung at bottom of the esky(it’s a  rotomoulded plastic type) which let’s all the water into the boat which is flushed with freshwater and heads out the bung at the end of the day. On top of the tank is marine carpet stuck with contact adhesive so I can stand on it safely.

the record is 18 yakkas and three squid which I can keep alive all day.

hope this helps and good luck with the build.

2B614E28-BC53-4AA9-A83A-D830B8824E26.jpeg

@flatheadluke thanks for the info mate and photos, looks like a great setup. 18 yakked and 3 squid is impressive! Marine carpet is gold hey, I just made a marine ply box for a dual battery switch and relay and it looks great carpeted.

I’ve been getting this live tank project moving the last few days around holiday activities and have mounted the tank to the transom. This took a little while as I had to shorten the middle rod holders to allow engine in full locked up position and also not infringe on bench seat. I wasn’t keen to raise it higher due to blocking the view and the potential to get in the way fishing, also didn’t want the weight any higher. 

Have plumbed the bilge pump section in also, my larger outlet was too large to get near the top of the tank so I’ll drop back into the chandlery and get a couple of 19mm elbows for outlets so the water level can be high. Will be good to have one outlet either side anyway as the boat rocks and rolls.

I’ll also get some tinned electrical cable to extend the bilge pump wiring into the boat via the existing glanded entry the motor cables use to keep it neat. Next thing I’m out of switches with all my latest accessories :), will look at adding another smaller switch panel.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lakelad said:

I’ll drop back into the chandlery and get a couple of 19mm elbows for outlets so the water level can be high. Will be good to have one outlet either side anyway as the boat rocks and rolls.

I’ll also get some tinned electrical cable to extend the bilge pump wiring into the boat via the existing glanded entry the motor cables use to keep it neat. Next thing I’m out of switches with all my latest accessories :), will look at adding another smaller switch panel.

hahaha .... just remember BOAT (Bring Out Another Thousand) !!!! .... but they are so much fun.

Great progress BTW, post some pictures when you can.

Cheers Zoran

I had a UK mate ask me how I have mine setup in my rib, rather than try a draw images and explain in writing I made a video showing mine instead.

A couple of things to consider, firstly bigger baits such as slimey mackerel survive longer in round tubs without corners to keep bumping into.

The outlet needs to be bigger than the inlet or you will find the tank soon overflows, especially in choppy conditions.

Fish will suffer from stress, water being pumped in doesn't need to be sprayed or make lots of bubbles. A good supply of clean water to maintain temperature and replace any blood or slime keeps them healthy.

Ive had good success collecting ( under permit ) for aquariums as well as keeping numerous healthy live baits for kings and marlin.

A sign your baits are suffering stress is loosing their slime coating and of coarse dropping to the bottom of the tank looking very sick. Remove any dead baits as soon as you find them, also use a net which doesn't damage the slime if possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, lakelad said:

@flatheadluke thanks for the info mate and photos, looks like a great setup. 18 yakked and 3 squid is impressive! Marine carpet is gold hey, I just made a marine ply box for a dual battery switch and relay and it looks great carpeted.

I’ve been getting this live tank project moving the last few days around holiday activities and have mounted the tank to the transom. This took a little while as I had to shorten the middle rod holders to allow engine in full locked up position and also not infringe on bench seat. I wasn’t keen to raise it higher due to blocking the view and the potential to get in the way fishing, also didn’t want the weight any higher. 

Have plumbed the bilge pump section in also, my larger outlet was too large to get near the top of the tank so I’ll drop back into the chandlery and get a couple of 19mm elbows for outlets so the water level can be high. Will be good to have one outlet either side anyway as the boat rocks and rolls.

My projects always end up with a few twists and direction changes.

I am enjoying the collective input in this thread and no doubt any future bait tank I build will be better for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonD said:

rather than try a draw images and explain in writing I made a video showing mine instead.

@JonD given your photography skills I'd expect nothing else !!!  Drawing is for amateurs like me.... 😔

1 hour ago, Welster said:

I am enjoying the collective input in this thread and no doubt any future bait tank I build will be better for it.

@Welster Yup thats what I love about FR .... sharing of collective experiences.....

Cheers Zoran