Engine Corrosion anodes

Fishop

Is this what the anodes look like after a year or is there a fair chance they havnt been checked in a while?

Also, For those guys that do their own yearly servicing do you change your plugs and fuel filters every year or just if they look dirty?

20181203_155501.jpg

45 minutes ago, dunc333 said:

i do yearly just for piece of mind.what motor is that your working on as i have not seen a internal anode on my merc 4stroke but now your got me going to pull workshop manual out.....to see lol

Mercury 90hp fourstroke.  2006 model.  There were 3 on the block.  Two between the spark plugs and one on the starboard side down low.  Had to remove lower cowling to get to it.  

Look at how much salt was built up behind it!!!

Much cleaner after I sucked it all out with a vacuum!! 

Got them out in the end but the grommets were buggered so had to order new ones.

Not sure how long they were in there but probably could have re used them.  Gave them a good soaking in vinegar and it removed alot of the salt build up.

1545026637703362.jpg

1545026638125174.jpg

1545026638479322.jpg

After I got it all back together i ran it in a 100L drum for a good 10 minutes and added 6L of white vinegar.  I let the water heat up to about 50C.  

I then pulled the anodes again and checked the passages and the warm water definetely loosened up the salt build up.  I think in future I will still use muffs but once a month or so Ill give it a good run with the 100L drum and let the water warm up again.  Seems to break down the salt better and keeps the thermostat open longer so more gets passed out down that overflow pipe.

Anyway, be interesting to see in 12 months time how much crap builds up on those anodes again.

@zmk1962 your comment disappeared?  Yes I am sure they are anodes and not thermostat.  I got a merc dealer to order me a repair manual from overseas and it had the maintenence schedule and this was in it to inspect yearly along with the anode on the leg and the one on the transom.

7 minutes ago, Fishop said:

@zmk1962 your comment disappeared?  Yes I am sure they are anodes and not thermostat.  I got a merc dealer to order me a repair manual from overseas and it had the maintenence schedule and this was in it to inspect yearly along with the anode on the leg and the one on the transom.

Hahaha.  Yup I deleted it.  Wasn't relevant - it applied to a 2st engine - not to a 4st.  

Cheers Z

3 hours ago, Fishop said:

Is this what the anodes look like after a year or is there a fair chance they havnt been checked in a while?

Also, For those guys that do their own yearly servicing do you change your plugs and fuel filters every year or just if they look dirty?

20181203_155501.jpg

I check and clean my Suzuki internal anodes every 6 months. The more often you clean them the better. They build up with “junk” very quickly and need to be cleaned often to do their job properly. 

I change plugs according to the manual and also how I feel about how much use I’ve done and how the engine is starting/ running. 

I clean filters if they can be every year. I generally replace every few years. I do always check them often though. 

1 hour ago, Hateanchors said:

I check and clean my Suzuki internal anodes every 6 months. The more often you clean them the better. They build up with “junk” very quickly and need to be cleaned often to do their job properly. 

I change plugs according to the manual and also how I feel about how much use I’ve done and how the engine is starting/ running. 

I clean filters if they can be every year. I generally replace every few years. I do always check them often though. 

Cool yeah the manual says just to inspect plugs yearly and replace as necessary.  

Same with fuel filters.  Engine fuel filter and engine fuel water separator both looked clean (I've seen what a dirty one looks like). I've also got an external fuel water separator which is a bit harder to tell when it's dirty so I'll probably replace that one every year. 

20181217_183318.jpg

Yeah never bothered with it as I thought it a bit expensive but judging by that video he only used about 10ml of saltaway so a 1L bottle would last quite a while  haha

Might be worth looking at or Salt X.  Same stuff but half the price.  a  certain shop well known for camping boating and fishing (which i am not allowed to mention) also has 1L bottles of their brand on sale for 10 bucks each right now!!

Edited by Fishop

1 hour ago, Fishop said:

Yeah never bothered with it as I thought it a bit expensive but judging by that video he only used about 10ml of saltaway so a 1L bottle would last quite a while  haha

Might be worth looking at or Salt X.  Same stuff but half the price.  a shop also has 1L bottles of their brand on sale for 10 bucks each right now!!

If that's the case that's dirt cheap as its usually around $40ltr!!

You will use more than in the video by the time you wash around the motor, boat & trailer.

If your going to use it to me its a putting a barrier on your whole rig & including the fishing rods & reel :biggrinthumb: