Help - Outboard motor maintenance intervals (time vs. hours)

richard2234

Back in January 2017 I purchased a second hand boat (1999 Cruise Craft Rival 500) with a 1999 115 HP 2 stroke Yamaha. At purchase the motor had  170 hours and I immediately had it given the once over with a 100 hour service by a Yamaha dealer up on the mid north coast of NSW, cost a bomb but it was all done, spark plugs, impeller and water pump housing, gear oil, fuel filter, etc.) Since that service I've only added about 50 hours (total engine hours of 220 now) in 2 years. I'm about to go on our regular annual holiday for a few weeks up to Forster where the boat gets most its use from year to year  (about 25-30 hours in 3 weeks thru January, not much at other times in the year).

Should I get the motor serviced again in early January 2019 prior to our 3 week holiday up at Forster or is okay to defer a service until after I come back from holidays in late January 2019? Is time elapsed or hours more critical in these circumstances, particularly where my use profile only sees me predominantly using the boat each January? During the year when the boat is not in use I tend to run the motor every few months just to keep things lubricated.

Interested in your thoughts on how to manage this.

11 hours ago, richard2234 said:

Back in January 2017 I purchased a second hand boat (1999 Cruise Craft Rival 500) with a 1999 115 HP 2 stroke Yamaha. At purchase the motor had  170 hours and I immediately had it given the once over with a 100 hour service by a Yamaha dealer up on the mid north coast of NSW, cost a bomb but it was all done, spark plugs, impeller and water pump housing, gear oil, fuel filter, etc.) Since that service I've only added about 50 hours (total engine hours of 220 now) in 2 years. I'm about to go on our regular annual holiday for a few weeks up to Forster where the boat gets most its use from year to year  (about 25-30 hours in 3 weeks thru January, not much at other times in the year).

Should I get the motor serviced again in early January 2019 prior to our 3 week holiday up at Forster or is okay to defer a service until after I come back from holidays in late January 2019? Is time elapsed or hours more critical in these circumstances, particularly where my use profile only sees me predominantly using the boat each January? During the year when the boat is not in use I tend to run the motor every few months just to keep things lubricated.

Interested in your thoughts on how to manage this.

For peace of mind service it before you go especially if you go offshore.As you know servicing is based on time and hours due too things deterioting/wearing at different times/hours.

Servicing them every 50,100hrs,yearly whatever is good for dealers/Mechanics but not so much for you the customer spending all those $$$ for peace of mind protecting your investment.

I've had impellors go for years on boats,spark plugs years aswell,gear oil the same etc with no ill effects.

The worse thing for boats,cars,anything mechanical is lack of use so get out there and enjoy your boat. 

Saying that if it is still running good and fluids etc are topped up and it was my boat I'd just go and save myself the coin if im confident in it.

No matter what anyone says on here including me your the one that has to make the ultimate decision as if anything goes wrong,breaks or your left stranded it will be up to you to resolve them.

• Like 1

Personally I go off the 100hrs but for me these come around very quickly. My mechanic claims genuine Yam impellers are good for 200hrs which also coresponds with Yamaha's latest service intervals. My plugs are replaced but still look like new every 600hrs and as for fuel and water fliters these are replaced at 100hrs for the oil and checked for the fuel.

Genuine Yam gearbox oil normally comes out at 100hrs looking like the day it went in. 

For me I would still go 100hrs even if it took me longer to reach that time.

7 hours ago, Fab1 said:

The worse thing for boats,cars,anything mechanical is lack of use so get out there and enjoy your boat. 

I totally agree with this.   I always hear it has thousands of hours but still runs like new.  I don’t  often hear it only has a few hours but is decades old and runs like new.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JonD said:

Personally I go off the 100hrs but for me these come around very quickly. My mechanic claims genuine Yam impellers are good for 200hrs which also coresponds with Yamaha's latest service intervals. My plugs are replaced but still look like new every 600hrs and as for fuel and water fliters these are replaced at 100hrs for the oil and checked for the fuel.

Genuine Yam gearbox oil normally comes out at 100hrs looking like the day it went in. 

For me I would still go 100hrs even if it took me longer to reach that time.

Beauty about your engines is you actually use them often mate which will preserve them longer

• Like 1

If your reluctant to spend $$ with an unecessary service and want to save some coin, but want some peace of mind i think the solution is simple.

Before you leave for your trip find a gap of 3 to 4 hrs...hook the boat up and drop it in at ur nearest ramp.

Go out give the engine a run and get 3-4 hours on it.....if anything has deterioriated in the last 12 months chances are youl find out quickly.

Edited by GoingFishing

Hi Richard

I generally get mine done every 12 months even if I have not done the hours.  Especially going offshore, it gives you peace on mind that everything is ok.  If it was me, I would be getting it done immediately before your holiday each year so you can go away for your holiday knowing that everything is all good.  Yes, there is a cost for this, but at least you are not going to get there on the first day of a three week holiday and something goes wrong.  At least at Forster, there would most likely be somewhere to get it fixed, depending on how long it takes to get it done.

There is another way to look at this, you just neeed to use your boat more to make sure you get the 100 hours up each year.

Mark