Flathead question ?

Rock hopper

I try to use all my fish caught from tip to tail where possible but sometimes things slip through the cracks.  ( Literally for me )  Like finding old frames or heads at the bottom of a freezer that have fallen out of the basket I use in my trunk freezer. Just found some flathead heads. Have people used flathead heads for bait and if so what have they caught with them ? What are flatheads predators ?

Any info would be interesting. 

Cheers

Have used them to burley up beach worms and and in crab traps with success.

Alternatively, boil them up in water, salt a few peppercorns, a bay leaf and onion to make fish stock for soups etc.

KB

Edited by Koalaboi
  • Like 1

Pretty spot on there Koala.

If you had enough & you had something to break them up you could also make a burley log mixed with bread?

The only other thing I could thing of to get use out of them is to put them in your  mates tackle bad at the end of a trip for a prank :074:

15 hours ago, Rock hopper said:

What are flatheads predators ?

My last two trips out targeting flathead have resulted in a hook up of a 5ft grey nurse and a Mako (pup) ... both on the flathead paternosters.  So that's a pretty good indication these predators hang around where we have been catching flathead.

Like @kingie chaser and @Koalaboi have said mince them up for burley or use in crab traps.

Cheers Zoran

Yeah I was thinking about crab traps but will have to go further afield as I'm based in Brissy waters and U can't trap. Yeah Burley log is a good idea and I do use them for stock but these are a bit old for that I think. 🤔 Was thinking more about actual baiting with them, maybe shark baits as has been suggested. 

Just wondering really and was curious to see what others do and have experienced.  Love the idea of leaving in a tackle bag.......we all have one of those friends. Hahahaha

Cheers