Port stephens let down

Fischerfishin

Hi fellow raiders,

With Sydney being filled with rats at the moment me and some mates decided to get away to chase some bigger kings. We decided Nelson’s bay would be a good place to try so headed there for 4 days in high hopes of some tight lines. 

With a nor easter blowing a pretty strong gale most afternoons early morning was our best shot of getting out as we only have 4m tinnys. First we went out to cabbage tree island and picked up some slimeys and yakkas. We trolled them around the island for abit without even a nudge from anything. So we decided to head our to the kingfish farms. Searched around for about half an hour but could not find them at all and the picture we had of where they were in between cabbage tree island and Broughton Island was definitly not accurate. So we headed back without any luck as the wind started to hit. Next day tried down at middle island near soldiers point using poppers and stickbaits again without even an enquiry from a fish. Also popped and used stickbaits off cabbage tree island with nothing. Only on our last day we got 2 small bonitos around 30-40cm on a small x-rap trolling lure. 

With our hearts broken we headed back to Sydney. I guess we will have to Try find where the big ones are hanging out down here. 

Anyone else found the same thing at the moment? The water was also a cool 17.2° so maybe they’ve headed to abit warmer water for now.  

Im sure scrathchie & Baz will pipe in here in no time 👍

Meantime not sure if Id be to keen taking a 4m tinny out to cabbage tree let alone try to get to Broughton but each to their own!

Edit: I have a 3.9mtr tinny & I wouldn't even try it!

Edited by kingie chaser

Firstly, sorry Port Stephens was disappointing for you. 😩

Secondly, how much research did you do? Especially when trying a new area. Fishraider is a wealth of information. I know I always put up a chat post when heading to a new area to see what other experienced members say! 

Thirdly, the kingfish pens haven’t been there for nearly 9 months. Never seen or heard of anyone catching a king at middle island. (Better there for jew) Nelson Bay breakwall holds some big kings early morning this time of year. Fingal headland would be another option. 

As they say, “speak to a local” and it might just save you some time! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And you can’t troll around Cabbage Tree Island - sanctuary  zone. Lucky you didn’t cop a $500 fine! Scratchie’s right - Nelson Bay breakwall is the place to go for kings, early morning. There are plenty of options in the Bay if the kings aren’t playing - flathead, whiting, jew. Even if you don’t ask us here on Fishraider, the staff at any of the local tackle shops will give you some tips. That being said, it’s too crowded up here for me at the moment, so I’ve gone into hibernation - I’m relaxing by the pool now with a 🍺. People are catching fish but I’ll give it a crack when most of the crowds have gone home. 😉

• Like 1