Fibreglass repair

garfield28

Hi all, 

Have just done a small repair of some fibreglass on my boat where it has been a little gouged out by hitting the last keep roller while trying to drive up on the trailer. 

Anyhow started by sanding the area etc and laid up a little bit of glass and have sanded that this morning and notice there's a couple of little holes where obviously air has been. With these holes can I just hit them with a putty of some sort to fill them and then gelcoat over the top? Just wondering if I am meant to use a special type of putty filler too. 

Will try and load some pics from my phone.

Thanks 

Geoff 

Looks like you didn't wet out the fiberglass enough so it had some air pockets then when you sanded it they filled with fiberglass dust Give it a good clean with prepsol the mix some of the resin you used for the fiberglassing and give it a thick coat of that then poke the holes with a bit of wire to let the air out they will then fill with the resin

Thanks for that boys. 

I bloody tapped that glass when laying it up for heaps with the paint brush and it seemed as though it was fairly wet to me, so not sure how or what I did wrong exactly, but know the more you tap it to wet it out it spreads and seems to move off the area you laid it. 

I went to the boat shop yesterday arvo and the guy there suggested and sold me some septone gelcoat repair filler. He said it will fill the pin holes and it is also a finishing gelcoat. 

Said to give it a couple of coats, so I slapped it on this arvo and will sand it back tomorrow arvo when I get home from work and see how it looks. 

Hi all,

Can anyone with experience doing fiberglass repairs on their boat please tell A, how I can shape the very start of a strake that starts at the bow, or even B, if it is necessary to do so?

Where the damage was I sanded down to lay up a little fiberglass but also sanded away the shape of the strake at the start up the top end of the boat, and so If I need to I'll do my best but if it's not really necessary I'd probably just prefer to leave it as I'd imagine its a lot of work. 

I'll take some pics and post straight from my phone. 

Thanks 

Geoff 

How it looks now, it basically forms to a point and tappers off to the front of the boat.

When I sanded it back it must have been shaped and in that area by gelcoat, because I didn't sand down fiberglass in that area.

Any advice much appreciated. 

Thanks 

Geoff 

boat strake.jpg

It'll be tough to get that shape back make. 

Similar to what others have said for filling those couple of holes you can make a peanut butter type consistency with the resin, some chop glass torn up and put in it or alternatively i think some people even mix talc into their resin to form a putty

Agree it looks real hard, but as I say I'm not sure if it's a big deal not to have it like it was but appearance wise I'd like to fix it up and just not sure how I can, but was hopeful that someone may be able to help with a way I could.