Sydney harbour overnight

Oli

I arrived at a ferry wharf in Sydney harbour around 8pm last night. Target species was jewfish. I caught yakkas for an hour then i caught a nice trevally that measured 32cm. Bait I used was slimy mackerel I caught a few nights before. I managed to get a few squid as well. I chucked some out but didn't get any takes.

I decided to stay until 8am the next day for some kingfish. Almost wanted to go home as there was a storm at 4am, but sunrise was only a few hours so I decided to wait it out.

Finally the sun appeared over the horizon so i chucked out a live squid on a weightless rig.

After 15 minutes i got a good hit. It fought well and i saw that it was a rat kingy. Unfortunately it busted me off by wrapping the line around a pylon.

The bite was slow for a while

Then I had another good hit, but i could tell that it wasn't a kingfish.

It was a baby bull shark.

I had no idea how i was going to get the hook out. Lucky it got off. After it swam away it was 7am. At this point my squid was getting picked to pieces by lots of small fish. I changed to heavier leader after the shark busted me off.

It worked, i got a really good bite

the fish made a massive run so i cranked up the drag without hesitation and fought hard

However the fish still managed to make another massive run and i could feel my line rubbing on the bottom. After several tense minutes I saw that it was a kingfish. It was difficult but i was rewarded with a 74cm treat that i took home with me.

I was absolutely knackered but i was really glad i didn't go home empty handed 

I was happy that i persisted in the end

b1f7cf52-d264-415e-a5f1-6aa8e928611a.thumb.jpg.3985087522828f913fcd94280eb442ed.jpg

IMG_1196.thumb.jpg.78cdbcaa2d8dbc0ff3e86e6e7ac6e4cb.jpg

• Like 6