Slow day at Port Stephens

Woodsy1

Hi Raiders

Took my mates young bloke out today went to cabbage tree for some bait and they were very timid this morning but we got a few even with the boat that wanted to speed right up close to drop his line for a min then speed off again.

But anyway we headed for the sisters but there were boats there already so steered clear of there and headed for the back of the island. Did a couple of drifts with the plastics and did no good so we tried drifting with bait and again no good, it didn't help with the same boat from the bait grounds and his mate either speeding across our drift our just sitting in it on spot lock so we moved to another spot for a couple of drifts for zero again so we anchored got the burley going and before we new it the young bloke picked 3 little plate sized snapper and with trying a few different versions of presenting the bait I ended up with 4 nice snapper as well.

I hope I don't sound like a whinger but when I put a lot of effort into thinking about what other boats around may be doing I sort of would like the same but it was a top day and my mates young bloke loved being out there for the first time and getting a few.

Woodsy

• Like 6

Haha, slow day mate???

7 snapper and no post of the mako you also caught! That’s a cracking day on anyone’s book! 

It’s very frustrating the etiquette of some fishos! Driving up your drift, doing circles around your intended fishing areas, or anchoring infront of you! 

Glad your knowledge of the area allowed you to move away and smack em! 

Well done champ! Jealous I had to work! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I just love pelicans like that pullin up in my berley trail  then stare at u blankly when u rev them for their ignorance   there are some absolute dickheads out there when it comes to courtesy

Yeah aren't there, Rick I got my fish on your spot today.

thanks

18 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Haha, slow day mate???

7 snapper and no post of the mako you also caught! That’s a cracking day on anyone’s book! 

It’s very frustrating the etiquette of some fishos! Driving up your drift, doing circles around your intended fishing areas, or anchoring infront of you! 

Glad your knowledge of the area allowed you to move away and smack em! 

Well done champ! Jealous I had to work! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Yeah no real big ones, hey I did think of you hard at work.

Woodsy

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Woodsy1 said:

Yeah aren't there, Rick I got my fish on your spot today.

thanks

Yeah no real big ones, hey I did think of you hard at work.

Woodsy

Haha, only 7 pannies??? My new and improved repellent is working!!! 😂😂😂

I bet you still did better than most! You are almost a tradesman now champ! 

Well done!!! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Haha, only 7 pannies??? My new and improved repellent is working!!! 😂😂😂

I bet you still did better than most! You are almost a tradesman now champ! 

Well done!!! 

Lol far from it, I just listen and experiment that’s all

• Like 1

10 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...well done woodsy,our day started extremely slow but come good in the end.

what type of boat was you referring to ?????

How did you go @back cruncher? I tried calling you on 72 to compare notes. I had an unsuccessful morning and came in early but, geez, it was nice to be out there!

On 1/23/2019 at 8:18 PM, Woodsy1 said:

Did a couple of drifts with the plastics

@Woodsy1/ @Scratchiewhat's the approach for drifting with soft plastics, just weight them appropriately and drop them close to bottom and sit back with a tight drag?

I've been using bait on paternoster rigs, but have some 6-7 inch plastics in the bag to try.