Big Flatty Post Removed

Ken A

The large flathead posts was removed after last nights effort. I have put the person who made the abusive posts on moderator approved postings for the time being.

Slagging other members will not be tolerated here.Rules apply to all.

Edited by Ken A

No mate it was nothing to do with your comments.

It happens every time a big flattie pic gets posted. Differences in opinions on whether the fish should be released or not surface & things get nasty. My satellite broadband was offline when I got home & I wasn't aware of what was going on until early this morning.

I'm also unable to check the site once I leave work and therefore don't know what went down. I'm certain that I didn't say anything rude, aggressive or offensive in my contribution to the discussion, but at the same time I can see how my post would have got some peoples' backs up.

I gotta say that I'm curious, but I'm probably better off not knowing!

My sincere apologies to Ken if I was part of the problem.

Now . . . . back to the fishing eh?

Mondo

Its not suprising that fisho's in general can't get together as a single voice to help stand up and protect our pastime when opinions about how fishing should be done is so different.

Makes it hard to unite as one when people are at opposite extremes with their fishing and choose to voice their differences bagging out another person's right to do what they want.

Its depressing when a picture of a fish can cause so much contaversy.

What chance do we really have :thumbdown:

Its a pity that we can not just respect one anothers choice to fish how we like provided it is within the law. There is clearly a big divide between C&R fisho's and catch and eat fisho's, and also there are a lot somewhere in between doing a bit of both. We all know this so why cant we just leave it alone. Let it go, eat it, who cares. Just bugger off the pro's and it wont matter what we do will it.

It just gets frustrating whenever a dead fish pic is shown as it ALWAYS turns into an arguement about whether it should have been released or not. Surely we can get past this ridicluos arguement. Who cares if you would have released it, its bloody dead now ! I can see Iains frustration on this as it always happens when the fish of a lifetime is shown dead, always.

Just my two bobs worth :biggrin2:

It always gets me that it only happens with Flathead ?

Big Jews have never got that reaction to my knowledge here or on any other sites to my knowledge or big Snapper for that matter.

Anyhow such is life :biggrin2:

It always gets me that it only happens with Flathead ?

Big Jews have never got that reaction to my knowledge here or on any other sites to my knowledge or big Snapper for that matter.

Anyhow such is life :biggrin2:

Yeah good point Ken,

I reckon it is simply because Jew and Snapper are historically a 'keep only' fish due to the fact that are mainly targetted by 'keep only' fisherman.

Jewies require big gear generally and are seldom targetted by the C&R angler. Snapper is an offshore target and few Bream boats get out there.

Jew is starting to become a more targetted species on plastic which makes me think that not to far in the future it will have the same 'release' pressure applied.

Ken - do flatties change sex after a certain size like barra do?

If so then this could explain the fascination with releasing big flatties - i.e. the really big ones are all breeding females.

If not then I agree it seems odd that keeping big flatties would provoke such a reaction - after all, a metre long male flattie surely isn't going to be that much more effective as a breeder than a 30cm one.

Which leads to another question - does anyone know how to tell the males from the females (other than cutting them open, obviously)?

I couldn't say myself Mondo for sure but I know in general the larger fish are female. Having said that however I was listening to a morning radio fishing show in QLD & the commentator said that there is evidence now to suggest that they do change sex & apparently at certain larger sizes they revert back to males then back to females again.

It's all a bit up in the air for me & I haven't seen or read anything on the subject. I'll look around the net & see what I can find.

G'day Ken

I think NSW Fisheries Dept are still trying to work it out for themselves re sex of big flatties.

Extract taken from here List of current research projects. :wacko:

Research Project Description

Project Title:

Size and age at maturity and timing and location of spawning of dusky flathead in NSW

(FSC2000/056)

Principal Investigator:

Dr Charles Gray

Funding Source:

Recreational Fishing Trust

Objectives:

1. Determine the reproductive cycle, size and age at maturity and the timing and location of spawning of

dusky flathead in NSW.

2. Provide advice on the species life history and possible management options to maintain sustainable

harvesting including suitable size limits.

3. Disseminate information on the biology of dusky flathead to recreational anglers.

Summary:

Dusky flathead is an important finfish species harvested by recreational and commercial fishers in NSW.

Because of concerns over the long-term sustainability of the resource (see Gray et al. 2002), the minimum

legal length of dusky flathead was increased from 33 to 36cm in July 2001, with a further increase to 40 cm

proposed. This proposed increase in size limit is based on relatively rudimentary information concerning the

size that flathead spawn. No detailed study of the reproductive biology of dusky flathead has been done.

This is needed so that future decisions on the most appropriate size limit for the species can be based on

rigorous scientific knowledge.

Sampling of the size and age compositions and reproductive condition of estuarine populations of dusky

flathead was done throughout 2001 and 2002. Preliminary analyses indicate that flathead grow quickly and

that spawning occurs between October and March. Further data will be collected during the 2004/05

spawning season to ascertain the minimum age and size that dusky flathead reach maturity and the exact

timing and location of spawning. The outcomes of the study will be used to develop management plans for

the sustainable harvesting and conservation of the species.

What it really comes down to is research... there isnt enough of it, so we do not really know that much at all :(

Chris

Your right there mate,

There is a real lack of knowledge about this stuff it would seem, which makes forming an accurate opinion difficult which is why I too C&R most fish and only take the odd flattie. Two other reasons are reasons that, first I dont eat that much fish, and second, cause I just like to let em go. If a friend or relo asks me to bring them home a few ill do that too.

Like you say we just dont know that much, so for me its each to thier own within the law until we know a clear direction. A clearer set of directions would certainly help get everyone on the same page.

damn...

i came back online to show a mate that huge flatty...

now its gone,

you'd think something that big is due to cark it soon anyway wouldnt ya?

That is not entirely accurate mate... the fish in question was big theres no two ways about it but i feel that it definately had some growth left in it. I have heard reports of years gone of flats growing to massive proportions up to 12- 14kg. Now i cant see this fish being that big. I reckon it had a heap of breeding left in it. If this new proposal on flatty slot limits come into action i guess post like the one erased will be a thing of the past... :thumbup:

Well you all got me going

Heading out to BB again tomorrow and will take my scuba gear with me and try to coax a few flatties to talk to me and comment on this question of breeding.

I will try to be as neutral as possible and provide their answers on this forum as accurate as I can but it will be from memory as the recorder will not work under water.

Now that I am going to undertake this dangerous work for research

Will everyone believe my findings??????????

After all I do believe that the Flattie population trusts me as I have had a large amount of them at my place for dinner.

Yours in research

Boppa

Edited by Boppa

"I think NSW Fisheries Dept are still trying to work it out for themselves re sex of big flatties."

Nice one Hooky. Now here is something I am happy for my fishing licence $ to be put into. More research into how we can keep a sustainable fishery.

Could/Do they restock Flathead liket hey do with Jewies?

Gday all again

Chris I will pose that question and get back to you 2morrow mate

Coach I will supply those points for you

Geoff will get back to you mate

Yours in research

Boppa

Gday all again

Chris I will pose that question and get back to you 2morrow mate

Coach I will supply those points for you

Geoff will get back to you mate

Yours in research

Boppa

You should get nominated for one of those "Nobel" prises for you efforts..

or at least get some sort of Govt funding!!!

Dont forget to take an extra Diving knife.. I heard the hairtail are particullary thick down there this time of year!!! :074::074::074:

It is a bit worrying abour the Hairtail but to provide fellow Fishraiders with answers it is well worth the risk

As for an award mate I am a very humble person and would like it to go to someone more worthy

Eg Schapelle or Michelle for testing the system

Yours in research

Boppa