Decking/ floor for a aluminium boat

anthman

Hi guys, has anyone ever installed foam decking for their aluminium fishing boat?

Looking at options and keen to hear people's experiences with them;

* Tube floor matting - I imagine tackle can easily get caught in between tubes? Doesn't look super durable with all the spacing between tubes and hollow nature of the tube.

* Octy or Z pattern deck tread (same stuff as the flat grey modules stuck on the gunnels of stabicrafts and bar crushers - looks like a super durable , grippy surface. Does not looks cushioning.

* Eva foam floor - cheap on eBay, looks good and comfortable but not sure how well it would hold up to the rough conditions that fishing introduce (tackle piercing, sharp spines on fish thrashing about.

The Eva foam floor is the cheapest and "looks" nice but unsure of how it actually holds up.

How has your experience been?

This is my opinion and my opinion only others would no doubt have different views on the subject.

1 . More pain than it's worth If you drop anything and yes a hooked fish can get caught up in it and make it difficult to unhook etc.

2. I try to avoid any of the self adhesive products may be OK for a short period but all too soon the stuff will start lifting and become a problem.

3. Would be my choice out of the 3 it is easy to apply cut to shape etc you can move pieces around ( providing they haven't been cut to a certain shape ) has good grip, hooks can still get caught but easily removed is a sound dedener . 1 metre square per piece so need to calculate how many pieces you need to cover your floor. And it can be lifted easily for cleaning up underneath . It holds up pretty well to wear and tear.

Buy 1-2 extra squares for emergency replacement.

Frank

Edited by frankS

32 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Ive found over the years that marine carpet cut to fit snug can be lifted out and washed with detergent and put back in  i use it in my vsea  but you need good quality with backing like normal carpet

Probably not so good for aluminium. Anything that remains damp for long periods can cause the aluminium to corrode. 

When I get home I will put up pics of my mod to my 14ft tinny.

Basically 2 small marine ply platforms  between each seat & covered in marine carpet, glued & fixed with brass screws.

Can be reasonably easily removed.

I just wanted a good solid platform for standing & casting mainly when SP fishing but of course I have to be careful as it can easily rock the boat being so small & especially if someone is also standing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, frankS said:

This is my opinion and my opinion only others would no doubt have different views on the subject.

1 . More pain than it's worth If you drop anything and yes a hooked fish can get caught up in it and make it difficult to unhook etc.

2. I try to avoid any of the self adhesive products may be OK for a short period but all too soon the stuff will start lifting and become a problem.

3. Would be my choice out of the 3 it is easy to apply cut to shape etc you can move pieces around ( providing they haven't been cut to a certain shape ) has good grip, hooks can still get caught but easily removed is a sound dedener . 1 metre square per piece so need to calculate how many pieces you need to cover your floor. And it can be lifted easily for cleaning up underneath . It holds up pretty well to wear and tear.

Buy 1-2 extra squares for emergency replacement.

Frank

Hi Frank - the ones ive seen on ebay for option 3 are all self-adhesive - they look pretty good and small upfront cost.

Has anyone used the eva foam on their tinny before? (had carpet before, it was ok, but definitely held smell).

• Like 1

Sorry about that. I thought they were loose lay, spose you could just keep the backing paper on them and see how long that lasts, but IF the deck is prepared absolutely spotless and flat they may stick OK and last a while. I used some self stick carpet and within 2 trips I found I had to peel it back and glue it back down, never again. Perhaps you could lay some glue down first to make double sure of them sticking. But I would rather loose lay so you could take it all up and wash down the deck.

I had some of them rubber tiles like used behind bars in pubs in a open deck moored boat that was getting rained on frequently and was almost constantly wet and they lasted years, never a problem.

Frank

What about tube matting? Years ago, I fished on a game boat at Lord Howe Island and the chequer plate deck (I think it was steel but it could have been aluminium) was covered in tube matting. It was nice and soft under my bare feet, slip free and drained well. Easily rolled up for cleaning.

Edited by Berleyguts

So I tried a couple of different types on mats but the hull shape being a big V in the front & the floor corrugations started to annoy me so as mentioned I went down the path of 2 decks/platforms between the seats in my tinny.

With some longer cross members that fitted to the last/lower rib & a couple of small lengths of 2x4's shaped to the hull & its a solid fit.

I thought the cross beams should be turned upwards for strength but then I wanted more width on the rib seams for support, took a little while to get it mocked up & in hindsight I guess I could have fitted a vertical beam along the centre but with the 2x4's in the middle its pretty solid, well solid enough to easily hold my 110kg frame 😅

89164895_Framing-small.thumb.JPG.595f69f2f16c9f997346cd2eb25d7e98.JPG1594893022_deck-small.thumb.JPG.0e49180d72c88b7095df7cf197f81e88.JPG844910424_motorveiw-small.thumb.JPG.848fe35739cdaa14950e17a3aff88336.JPG

447838750_Driversection.thumb.JPG.902c4bbf107c123cc007fb655d7c396a.JPG

I also like it that way because apart from being able to stand on an even surface for casting with SP's when I throw in my tackle boxes & esky etc its all level & getting to the anchor up front much easier.

Anyway that's my set up, simple as it is & I like it but as mentioned with no ballast you do need to watch what you are doing with you feet placement & very sudden movements & keep you fishing partner informed of what your doing.

Each to their own :thumbup:

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

I tackled a spongy ply floor replacement a few years back (end of 2015). replaced the floor with marine grade aluminium with regupol stuck on top.

Its still going strong and is as good as the day i finished the job!

The regupol is super grippy (is that a word?). 

Love hosing down the inside of my boat without fear of the old floor (marine ply with carpet) rotting away. 

here is a link to the last page in my post showing the job.

https://www.fishraider.com.au/topic/79115-aluminium-boat-floor-thickness/?page=3

Edited by SquidMarks

Have ordered a sheet of the Eva foam with adhesive - will we show it goes. Given the aluminium floor is fairly flat, except for chequered hashing, hopefully some silicone around the edges will love sufficient to seal air and water from getting underneath and also withstand small amounts of flex.