Mixing Live Bait.

Trippo

Hello Fishraiders,

Just a question, I fish mainly in the Harbour and most of the time with live bait. My usual procedure is first to try for squid, which usually produces a couple. Second to collect a heap of Yakkas.

I have a live bait tank so I put the squid in the tank and keep the yakkas in a bucket and continually empty and re-fill with fresh water to keep them alive.

It's a bit of a pain and was wondering what others do - I have been told not to mix both yakkas and squid in the tank. Your thoughts would be appreichiated.

i cut a peice of polysturene and slot it into the tank so it seperates it in half... put a few holes in it and this seems to work ok..

Thanks Coach, "makes sense" I will give it a try.....

how do u fish for squid? just on a squid jig?

Yeah, on a squid jig......just look for the weed beds and throw it out .....I use a slow retreive but the last couple of times I have been catching them on the jig which I put on the float just over the side of the boat and leave it there while im jigging.(keep it close to the bottom)

Thanks Coach, "makes sense" I will give it a try.....

Yeah, on a squid jig......just look for the weed beds and throw it out .....I use a slow retreive but the last couple of times I have been catching them on the jig which I put on the float just over the side of the boat and leave it there while im jigging.(keep it close to the bottom)

I just use a squid jig.. small one about 10cms long (bout the length of a box of cigerettes)

I like finding a long bay that ends with sandflats and weed beds.. seems o do the trick.. but I think the others might have more succeess on them than i do ( I only seem to catch them consistently in summer..