Reel For Squidgy Barra?

lurespinner

hey guys

i am getting a squidgy barra rod for flicking big sps for jews :biggrin2: and stickbaits for kings (i wish)

i need a decent reel to handle them

i will probably be using 15lb or 20lb braid and i am willing to spend up to $200 on a reel

any suggestions?

so far i have these 2 in mind:

symetre: http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/store/product.asp?ID=1298

applause: http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/store/product.asp?ID=3347

:thumbup:

thanks guys for all your help

cheers

Tom

I would go for a Shimano Stradic 4000 which you should be able to pickup for around $200. Much nicer reel than the Symetre, and when you are taking on jews and kings, the smoother drag will help. Give site sponsor ABA a call and see what they can do for you.

Cheers,

Ben

I recently bought a symetre 4000 I use it on my 9ft spin rod for mostly spinning for the smaller pelagics from the rocks. So far so good, I paid $138 including postage for mine, from MO tackle - they had the cheapest price and I rang everyone. :biggrin2: The stradic is a better reel but not by much and I thought for an extra 70 odd dollars, I can buy braid, mono, plus a few lures. :thumbup: If you plan on using it very regularly go the stradic.

i beg to differ with you guys... the stradic and symetre are not even in the same ball park. The 70 odd bucks extra goes a long way in buying a far superior reel. If retrieve speed is a concern then the symetre is the one but as far as quality is concerned there is no comparison. BTW i own both and is an opinion based over a two year period of use

I would go for a Daiwa Capricorn. Before every one starts saying that the reel is around the $250 mark, check a couple of aussie web sites. Campbells are doing them for $199. The capricorn is a far superior reel than the penn applause, symetre 4000 and the stradic.

Give the site sponsors a call and see if they can help out with the price.

Cheers

Lee

To be honest I would look into a Shimano Ultegra direct from japan. Its a much better reel than all the ones that have been mentioned (on par with the Aussie Shimano Sustain) and all for less than $200. Check out www.plat.co.jp

I know some guys disagree with not supporting Aussie tackle store owners , but you can't beat value like that. All the rest of the gear is bought in Australia anyway so its not like you are cutting them out...