Port Stephens

gundi4

Hello all,

After a frustrating trip last week targeting long tail with nothing to show for it, this morning a couple of mates and I headed up to port Stephens for another shot at them. 

Livies came in thick and fast with a mix of yakkas and slimeys. One of each went out to mix things up as the sun just started to rise. Didnt have to wait long before the yakka got smashed. Zzzzzzzz line peeling off and excitement builds and starts to turn to nerves as we are hoping to see a longy come up.

This thing is taking me around the boat so I’m thinking it has to be a tuna. After a good tussle a Mack tuna comes up which is good action but not the desired fish! Few snaps and then speared back in. Can’t complain I guess.

FECDB0BC-B8DE-4045-8F35-1922AEAFA4CD.thumb.jpeg.5140a4835cef94fbd81e88ee91ef4726.jpeg

ok back to business. Livies back out and it wouldn’t have been 30 seconds before the yakka gets taken again. My mate jumps on the rod and this thing is fighting differently. Dogging it out on the bottom but he manages to turn its head and up comes a nice snapper.

A5112245-CE31-4625-BF86-DA4D08CECAC1.thumb.jpeg.8a27272665cd40828645b26bf66ecf6e.jpeg

pb for the big fella and he’s cheering like he won the Melbourne cup 🐎🐎🏆🏆. Yewwwwwww.. high fives all around and a good feed in the esky.

Livies back out and we throw some baits and plastics to see if any other snapper are around.  No more hits for an hour or so we move location and do the same hoping the move will pay dividends. A couple more Mack tuna on baits but no where near the size of the first one so no pics taken. Called it quits just before midday with the longies evading us again.

all in all still a great day on the water and a good feed to eat tonight. 

Cheers 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Good report & photos, nothing better than having a reel going off, nice Mack tuna & congrats on the PB snapper, looks like one scratchies  pets 😀 shame there weren’t more around, what was the length 

66cm it went. Scratchie’s specimens put that to shame but still a good snapper in anyone’s book

• Like 2

Great report and congrats to your mate on his pb! Seems a few snapper yesterday were taking livies! 

Out of interest, what was your set up for targeting longtail? 

I have a theory about them but will wait for your reply! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Nice catch fellas  the island has lots of good ground but also lots of ground that's like a desert  sorting out the right spots will increase your chances   ifished livies all day yday but only managed Mack's  sharks  and one nice red   keep at it guys  your doing well

7 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Great report and congrats to your mate on his pb! Seems a few snapper yesterday were taking livies! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

6500 reel. 50 lb braid. 3m of 60lb leader with a torpedo float about 2m above the hooks

Edited by gundi4

6 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Nice catch fellas  the island has lots of good ground but also lots of ground that's like a desert  sorting out the right spots will increase your chances   ifished livies all day yday but only managed Mack's  sharks  and one nice red   keep at it guys  your doing well

Cheers Rick. Congrats on the stonker red too

7 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Cheers scratchie!!! 

After reading your set up I might beef up to a bigger leader and see if the theory works out. Cheers for the feedback