Bigger Bream from a new spot

TheCount

Headed out on Monday (after fitting a new Motorguide) from Woy Woy about 6am for my first trip for around 3 months. The water was as calm as I've ever seen and it was a joy to be out in the morning fresh air. Turned right and headed past the Rip Bridge to work the channel opposite Booker Bay. Had some early whacks and bust offs and to be honest I had no idea what it could have been - and didn't really care. I was out on the water and wetting a line again.. My rig was running 8lb braid with a 6lb mono leader.

After a few hours I had nothing to show for it so with the trusty anchor mode on my new toy, I relocated closer to the oyster racks and revelled with instant success. As soon as the first cast broke the water surface, the big bream in the photo took and swallowed the bait! In no time she was in the boat, measuring 36cm (a PB) and put on ice. The next half hour saw the other 3 join her in the esky and as they were getting smaller on each retrieve I thought I had enough and headed home. Garlic chicken was again the bait of choice...

Throughout the morning I saw a number of bait bust-ups close by. The image was like a washing machine for a few seconds and then peace once again. I may have stumbled across the answer as I was leaving my new honey hole - a sea turtle swimming alongside me... Great to think our waterways are so clean that species like this are in the area and now has me thinking to get the GoPro sorted out to start accumulating footage of these little events.

Will head out tomorrow morning on a flatty hunt around Riley Island - hope it leads to another story!

Cheers,

TC.

20190421 Bream.JPG

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Good report, fish & great  time of the year to be on the water, was your trace chewed through or clean bitten off, did the waterways get busier as the day progressed or had the holiday makers already left?

Great time on the water - agree 100%. Water temp feels around 21/22 so there's got to be plenty of fish around, right?

Leader clean cut through twice as the bait was taken, pulled once (but hey, could have been the knot), and lost once to what felt like a cut after a few minutes of struggle.. There's definitely flatties in the area as well as blue swimmers. It was after sunrise when it happened but I didn't have my sunnies on so I really can't say what it may have been.

The second part of the reason I moved from drifting the channel (apart from the lack of fish in the esky) was to get out of the armada of boats returning from whence they came and there was plenty. Add to that the growing number tearing through the area in their rush to get outside and add a healthy quantity of water skis - resulting in the area becoming chopped up. Moving no more than a hundred metres East gave me clear seas with a hint of rising tide and that day it worked out for me.

I was quite oblivious to the growing number of craft out on the day and leaving my new spot around 11am revealed the true extent of the situation. Between the sand flats of Booker Bay and the wharf at Woy Woy I would have passed 50 boats, with the vast majority at anchor wetting a line. Makes me happy that I chose to get out 5 hours earlier!

Cheers,

TC.

Yeah I've seen a small turtle in that area a few times, he was  only a little bigger than a dinner plate when I saw him a few months ago but seems to go up and down that shore fairly regularly. Hopefully he survives the boat traffic and doesn't get whacked by a prop.

nice sized bream by the way must give the garlic chicken a go!

cheers

Fil

1 hour ago, LuckyFil said:

Yeah I've seen a small turtle in that area a few times, he was  only a little bigger than a dinner plate when I saw him a few months ago but seems to go up and down that shore fairly regularly. Hopefully he survives the boat traffic and doesn't get whacked by a prop.

nice sized bream by the way must give the garlic chicken a go!

cheers

Fil

Hi Fil,

The turtle I saw was at least 50cm across, so let's hope there's more than a few of them around.

Cheers,

TC.

• Like 1