Towing ability of a Toyota Carolla

BilboSwaggins

Hi All,

I'm currently looking into buying my first boat.  I'm looking at something like a quintrex 420 dart or something else in a similar size range.

At the moment I drive a 2004 Toyota Corolla wagon and my biggest concern is that the car will struggle to tow the boat.

My dad has a Hilux I could borrow for any long haul trips, but the Corolla would just be used to tow the boat to the nearest boat ramp about 1.5 - 2km's away from where I live.

Would I be able to tow a boat of said size with the car I have?

I apologise if this post comes of as a little nooby or not researched, but as I said further up, I've never owned a boat before and I don't know much about boating or towing capacity etc.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by BilboSwaggins
  • Like 1

The towing capacity for your vehicle will be listed in your owner’s manual. A quick google says the max capacity for a 2004 Corolla for an unbraked trailer is 450kg and for a braked trailer, 1350kg. Keep down the lower ends of those limits and you should be OK but remember to factor in fuel, fishing gear, safety gear, eski, ice, bait and your hopefully large catch! Good luck!

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

@BilboSwaggins just remember any front wheel drive vehicle will encounter the 'front lift' on acceleration. So, as you accelerate to pull the boat n trailer out of the water and 'up' the ramp, you be 'lifting' the front "traction' wheels and can encounter wheel spin. So check the surface quality of the ramps you intend to use, and the condition of the front tyres on the vehicle.

I'd say, yes, the Corolla can and will tow a boat like a 420 Dart, but not say a 420 Renegade. Check the weight of the hulls, and add a fair allowance for motor, fuel, gear, etc.

The heavier the boat and load, the more 'acceleration' that will be needed to get up the boat ramp when pulling the boat and trailer out of the water, and therefore more possibility of wheel spin.

Keep us updated on your boat buying process!

a guy in our club tows a 14ft qunnie with a rolla  ,he lives not far from the ramp where we live  ,he will not tow it on the highway  he reckons mount ousley might swallow him up ,o reckon he would make it

I used to tow my 4.5m formosa (braked trailer) with my 1991 Toyota corolla Seca around...fairly sure my boat is decently heavier than yours so you'll be fine. Don't expect to win any races though. Ramps are fine to as long as they are maintained. Put it in low gear to minimise wheelspin.  

Here's a vid to put your mind at ease.

YOUTUBE VID

1 hour ago, Ojay Samson said:

I used to tow my 4.5m formosa (braked trailer) with my 1991 Toyota corolla Seca around...fairly sure my boat is decently heavier than yours so you'll be fine. Don't expect to win any races though. Ramps are fine to as long as they are maintained. Put it in low gear to minimise wheelspin.  

Here's a vid to put your mind at ease.

YOUTUBE VID

The lower the gear the more torque you will put to the ground actually increasing the chance of wheel spin.

The op doesn't state if his Corolla is manual or auto.In an auto i lock it in second gear to help minimise wheel spin when retrieving and with a manual well timed use of the clutch,accelarator and handbrake after selecting first gear will get him out of problems.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fab1 said:

The lower the gear the more torque you will put to the ground actually increasing the chance of wheel spin.

The op doesn't state if his Corolla is manual or auto.In an auto i lock it in second gear to help minimise wheel spin when retrieving and with a manual well timed use of the clutch,accelarator and handbrake after selecting first gear will get him out of problems.

Turning the traction control off (if it has one) will help if the ramp is a bit slippery. The weight of the boat confuses the system a bit of wheelspin is actually useful to cut through the sand or slime.