George's River Mulloway

jtp

Hi all,

Went for a quick kayak session today flicking soft plastics in the George's River targetting mulloway. I like how quiet it is now in terms of boat traffic.

Started at around 7am at the change of tide. Caught 2 mulloway at 64 and 74cm in the first 2hours of the runout. I was fishing a drop off in an eddy current created around the corner of a headland. Both caught on a gold flecked squidgy paddle tail. 8lb braid to 10lb leader. I've found in the kayak I haven't really had to go heavier and I was a bit lazy to bring too much gear. Both were securely hooked in the corner of the mouth and came in with not much trouble after the initial fight. Both released after some photos. Quite difficult to do by yourself in a yak!  

On the peddle back I flicked a prawn squidgy around some rocky ledges for 4 bream between 27 to a bigger model at 38cm. Kept 2 for the table. 

Still in search for the metre fish!

Thanks for reading,

Joe

• Like 5

Great job Joe,

Looks like you know what you are doing.

Targetting a specific ( and for many an elusive fish) and coming up with the goods is a sign of a good angler.

That 1-meter fish will turn up I am sure.

Cheers

Jim

On 5/2/2019 at 10:17 PM, jimbo61 said:

Awesome fish well done. Must try kayak fishing one day.

Thanks mate. It is a nice and different way to enjoy the water system. As a bonus it is a good motivator to exercise!

On 5/3/2019 at 7:38 AM, quintrex52 said:

Nothing like Jew in your own backyard, even better on plastics 👌

Cheers! Nothing like fishing your local waterway. 

On 5/3/2019 at 7:56 AM, fragmeister said:

Great job Joe,

Looks like you know what you are doing.

Targetting a specific ( and for many an elusive fish) and coming up with the goods is a sign of a good angler.

That 1-meter fish will turn up I am sure.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim. I'm slowly getting there I think. One day I hope for the metre mulloway!

On 5/3/2019 at 8:16 AM, 61 crusher said:

Great kayak session & awesome photos, with your skills the metery wont be to far away, good luck 

Thanks Crusher!

• 2 months later...

Good job snagging 2 jewies, i myself just bought a kayak will be arriving Tuesday and this thread is geeing me up abit haha

good luck on the hunt for the meter jew, it wont be far away. you defiantly know how to find and catch these ghosts of the estuary