Waterproof Phone Case

Green Hornet

As a guy that does his fair share of rock fishing, for the last year or so I've taken to wearing a PFD in the more hazardous and remote areas I fish.

My PFD has a couple of pockets and I thought it would be wise to keep my iPhone 8 in one for location purposes if ever the unthinkable should happen.

Can anyone recommend a particular type of phone case that would stand up to full immersion in saltwater? Price is no problem, I just want the best / most reliable product.

Edit:     I should add I am prepared to put my phone in this case for fishing trips only, so considerable bulk for everyday use is not a problem.

Edited by Green Hornet

Plenty of water proof cases about that are touch sceen compatible which is better than having to fish it out of a dry bag to access it.

I have one with headphone as well so you can still answer calls etc.

Just have a look on a shop au or ebay

• Like 1

You can get a waterproof case that allows you to use your phone camera underwater. If you’re wanting to use your phone/camera while wet, it might be worth going down that route. The ad appeared in my FB feed and after reading heaps of positive reviews, I ordered one online. It will fit a GoPro mount. I haven’t used it yet but I’ll check the details when I get home from work and advise.

17 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

You can get a waterproof case that allows you to use your phone camera underwater. If you’re wanting to use your phone/camera while wet, it might be worth going down that route. The ad appeared in my FB feed and after reading heaps of positive reviews, I ordered one online. It will fit a GoPro mount. I haven’t used it yet but I’ll check the details when I get home from work and advise.

@Green Hornet The case I bought is called a ProShot Touch. I can’t remember what I paid for it but the receipt will be in my emails somewhere! I think it’s more to protect your phone in or near the water when your using it as a camera rather than a day to day phone case. It fits a GoPro mount and you can buy different lenses: a flat lens to preserve the original iPhone lens perspective, a wide angle and a fish eye lens. It also has a floating hand grip, useful and when snorkelling etc.

3F7B5733-88B0-472B-8FDF-6E4F9420BCBB.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies.

It appears a Lifeproof FRE will suit my requirements the best.

I only want to carry my phone on me for additional safety. I already own 2 underwater capable cameras and certainly don't want to answer calls while I'm fishing! haha.

Had to go fishing for my iphone a couple of days ago. Fell out of my pocket and into the toilet bowl (before I had done anything in it) and was only 1/3 under the water for maximum of 3 seconds.  Took it to a repair centre and AppleCare only to find it is now an expensive paperweight.  I have an Over Board brand bag for the phone when I go kayaking, but it doesn't float. Can make calls etc though, when it is in the bag. Also have a new phone now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Killer said:

Had to go fishing for my iphone a couple of days ago. Fell out of my pocket and into the toilet bowl (before I had done anything in it) and was only 1/3 under the water for maximum of 3 seconds.  Took it to a repair centre and AppleCare only to find it is now an expensive paperweight.  I have an Over Board brand bag for the phone when I go kayaking, but it doesn't float. Can make calls etc though, when it is in the bag. Also have a new phone now.

I bet you didn't tell the repair guy where the phone got wet...………………………………..🤣

13 hours ago, Killer said:

Bummer about the phone and your "fishing"experience. Hope you didn't encounter any brown bottles!!

My phone is advertised as being water resistant and supposed to survive such a dunking, albeit only a very quick one, I assume.

I'm thinking I should possibly be looking at a lanyard to secure my phone to my PFD. 

Edited by Green Hornet

A few years back I googled iPhone waterproof cases & came across a bulky orange floating case which might suit someone on this post, I don’t know if it’s still available though, ended up getting a life proof as it suited my needs better 

My daughter bought a "life proof case" which unfortunately didn't protect the screen from cracking the first time she dropped it, however it has remained pretty waterproof from splashes. This company seem to have made a pretty tough case which also looks good, which Im going to use on my next phone https://www.mous.co/?userRedirect=US&_ga=2.14898677.2115136778.1557112913-1896506165.1512001723

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonD said:

My daughter bought a "life proof case" which unfortunately didn't protect the screen from cracking the first time she dropped it, however it has remained pretty waterproof from splashes. This company seem to have made a pretty tough case which also looks good, which Im going to use on my next phone https://www.mous.co/?userRedirect=US&_ga=2.14898677.2115136778.1557112913-1896506165.1512001723

Pity that case doesn't appear to be waterproof. I like the idea of the card sleeve attached.

I was only thinking yesterday if I had something to hold my debit card, drivers and fishing licence, I could leave my wallet at home.