Thinking of buying a Formosa 550

Huwmorgan

Hey guys just found this site as recently moved to port Stephens from the uk 😋. Me and my dad are looking to get a new Formosa 550 centre cab or bow rider (fishing or family first not decided yet) just wondering if anyone has experience of owning a formosa or been on one and what their thoughts/reviews are?

looking for a boat to get outside and fish Broughton but also good for a family day in the bay. Other suggestions also welcome but looking at a tinny due to towing capacity of our cars.

Thanks in advance

Huw

I haven’t owned one but every time I visit my local boat dealer in Port Stephens, I drool over the Formosa centre cabins. Have read some good reviews and they are in my wish list, for sure!

Edited by Berleyguts

Heard good reviews on formosas  .......dont like bowriders for outside fishing  my personal choice so no negative comments please  i have a cuddy style wave shedding vsea and have had water over the screen  so not fan of open bow

I think 5.5m is probably going to be "cosy" with a centre cab, it would be close to the minimum size I think, a bow rider is no different to a centre console when it comes to waves over the front, the VC suffers because the driving position is right up the front, making most weight well forward, the VC and the bigger Viking could be rather "refreshing" when a good wave comes over the top, especially in winter!

Yep, me too, once just on dark, cold south wester blowing, just got the anchor up and slowly turning towards the ramp and a wave was scooped up and landed right on me, it was a chilly drive back, but not as chilly as the time I dropped the car keys in the water getting out of the boat to get the trailer, once again, cold winters night, stripped down to my undies to feel around the bottom for the keys, as luck would have it, I found them after about 5 minutes, lucky it was for my old Landcruiser Ute and had no electronic gizmos in the key.

• Like 1

This is the question you need to ask yourself.

How often will the boat be used for fishing....and how often for family ?

If your only going to use it once a year for family, but every weekend for fishing. Then it makes sense that fishing comes first and vice versa.

Oh and btw........ go fishing first 😂😂😂

Yeah it’s likely to be 50/50 for both so it’s really a toss up. Gonna try and crawl over them up close to get an idea of size and space. Just wondering what ppls thoughts are for the Formosa’s sea worthiness as well?

I have he stacer 5.7 now rider and it’s a great all round boat.    I imagine the Formosa is probably better in some respects.

For straight out fishing Outside I’d rather some more protection as Rick suggests.   Also the bow rider is more like a runabout with a low seating position.   On the open water I’d prefer to stand and let my legs do the work but that is chilly underway in winter. The Bimini when fitted is also below standing height so it’s a bit of an awkward lean to stand in the gap between it and the screen.