Tools to start servicing my own reels?

Hey Raiders,

After breaking in my daiwa BG 3000 and stradic ci4+ 1000 & 2500 over the last 3-6 months I feel it's time for a full blown tear down.

Just wondering if there was any documentation online / knowledgeable folk here that could recommend a good precision bit set that would suit both reels? Have read online that it's very easy to strip screws if you don't have the right bits.

Can anyone recommend a good one?

Why bother , all pretty indestructible reels, just take the side plates off and have a look for any signs of water intrusion , and maybe a small dose of reel grease if needed. As said above just use the right size tools. If you flog the crap out of them (like i do) you may need to replace the bearings in a few years- this could be problematic with the Daiwa but easy with the Shimanos

I think I did a post here some time ago about reel repairs and tools? but anyway, you will only need a few quality hand tools (not cheap rubbish) I keep mine is a special "toolbox" (a Tupperware container I stole from the kitchen) you will need good Flathead and philips head screwdrivers, a quality set of jewellers screwdrivers, a good pair of small long nose pliers and a small shifting spanner, I also have some Dental equipment (pickers and hooked end things) that are perfect for locating small springs over pegs, and digging into corners to get grit out and that will see you able to dismantle almost any reel.

As you start breaking down the reel, stop at stages and take a photo. I can be a godsend if you're not 100% sure how to reassemble certain parts.

You can also download your exploded parts diagram as a PDF from Daiwa or Shimano's site. That way you can zoom right in and have the relevant section in front of you as you go.

• Like 2