Braid connections

Ali2196

Hey guys! Went fishing yesterday and unfortunately I received a wind knot in my braided line. So I let out my line, cut and repaired the knot with a double uni knot but as I was re spooling my line  I managed to make another knot..

so my question is, is it okay to have a few double uni knots within my reel or would I be better off changing my whole line?

appreicat the help!

If you are going to use it for casting, i would bin the line and spool new line or cut off and start from there is there is still decent line left.

If you are poor and will be using it for jigging and dont need casting distance then i would join it with a surgeons knot.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

So my questions back to you are- how big is the spool, how much line do you have on it, where is the knot?

If I have 300mtrs of braid on a line & I get a wind knot in the 1st 25/50mtrs Im not losing 275mtrs of good braid!

I agree. Either ditch the line to the wind knot and top up the backing if necessary. Or at a pinch, reverse the braid so the knot is toward the tail end of the line on the spool.

Personally, I'd be replacing it. Saving a couple of bucks isn't worth the risk of possibly losing the fish of a lifetime.

• Like 1

Get rid of knot.  Another solution if you have a large spool of line is to pull all braid off spool and pack spool with line to make up for lost line before topshotting braid back on top.  Ron 

• Like 1

Remove the knot then strip the line off. I normally use an old Alvey for this but I do have a battery operated line stripper which lets it all fall onto the floor - just be careful of tangles and more knots! Then put mono backing on and top shot with the braid you stripped off, as Ron said.

Guest Guest123456789

If you’ve still got a good amount of braid left I’d remove it, add more mono backing then top shot your salvaged braid.  A variable speed drill, a self tapping screw and a coke bottle makes this job easy

Silly question. But from a practical standpoint what's the difference between getting rid of the knot and adding mono topshot or backing? 

When you introduce mono your introducing another knot / weakpoint somewhere in the line and effectively you may as well have stayed with the first knot anyway?

Edited by GoingFishing

Guest Guest123456789
35 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Silly question. But from a practical standpoint what's the difference between getting rid of the knot and adding mono topshot or backing? 

When you introduce mono your introducing another knot / weakpoint somewhere in the line and effectively you may as well have stayed with the first knot anyway?

Sometimes you want a larger reel with a spool too large. Eg I have a bream reel that takes 300 metres of braid. A bream won’t strip 300 metres of braid so mono backing saves me the cost of too much expensive braid.