Botany Bay Sunday

Gabm

Headed out Sunday with my son & his friend. Given the talk of snapper lately, and glorious conditions, we decided to head to the rocky ground just south past the heads to try our luck.

The boys fished bait, while I tried casting a plastic (following Scratchies advice as well as I could).

Not long in, my son yells ‘I’m snagged’ quickly followed by ‘its a fish’. A couple of minutes later, he pulls up the largest Eastern red scorpion fish we’d see . Although it & it’s poisonous spines went back, my son was over the moon with one of his heaviest catches ever.

000C4615-38DF-4FBF-8B3C-63BAF054DC33.jpeg.11f634abfd9431050853a35d1b021e28.jpeg
Unfortunately not much happened after that.

The boys pulled up a couple of wrasse & a single snapper, which was the same size as the ones we get inside the bay :(

My casting yielded nothing but a couple of very small bumps just the once, and also what I’m sure was the distinct pull from squid or cuttlefish a few times. I resisted the urge to change to a squid jig & kept at it though.

The most exciting part of the morning came after we released one of the wrasse. It took a little time to revive & floated near the surface for a bit. While I was considering driving back to net it, up swims a large school of distinct yellow / green shapes, Kingfish, I assume to investigate the struggling wrasse? Not the bait, nor the plastic could tempt them though as they lazily swam away. The wrasse had revived & disappeared too :(

We gave up on the reef after this & headed back into the bay. After trying a few spots for zilch, we ended up near the Kurnell wharf where we encountered a hoard of small snapper which kept the kids entertained for a while. At one stage we must have drifted over a school of jackets because finally the SP saw some action, being completely shredded in an instant 😩 One of our rigs was also cut at the braid (the green braid & not the colour change?), so we changed to wire to try & salvage something. But we’d drifted a bit by then & couldn’t find anything but hungry snapper.

So, although we ended up with nothing but ice in the bag, it was a great day to be out & the boys caught a few fish.

Thanks.
  • Like 1