Bate Bay flatties

Yowie

Headed out into Bate Bay with a mate this morning to have a bottom bash for flatties. They were a bit hard to find.

Took a while to find a few, and they were only just over the size limit. Stacks of small spikey flatties everywhere - kept a few for bait.

Moved to a couple of others spots for bugger all blue spots, just spikeys. While we were drifting along, my rod loaded up, no bite felt, just vigorous head shaking then it took off, the reel screaming away for a little while, then gone. Retrieved the line to find what appeared to be a bite mark above the swivel, and some fraying about a metre above the end. Had the speed of a kingie, but they don't bite through line, so maybe a toothy critter.

Moved to the back of the Bombie for a drift and pulled up a few slightly larger blue spots, up to 45cm, and more spikeys. After a while the bites stopped, so we hauled up to find all hooks missing. 2/0 hooks neatly snipped off the droppers, probably jackets, so headed home.

Had a pod of dolphins cruising around the boat for a while, and spot several humpbacks cruising along. 2 whale charter boats out there as well, would cost the punters a few dollars each, whereas we saw the critters while catching a feed of fish.

fish.jpeg_198.thumb.png.ece601a4f5a78632a7b5898774e8b086.png

• Like 7

3 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

As always a nice bag of flatties there Yowie.

Good to see them still on the chew. im itching to get out.

They are scattered about, just have to move around to find them.

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

A choir of flatty! Nice work yowie! 👍

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie. They are singing, bloody Yowie and his mate fooled us again. :lol:

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, masterfisho7 said:

Some fine flathead and good eating fish Yowie

Yes, had some fillets tonight, crumbed and fried with chips and veges, washed down with a Riesling. Very nice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

In a few weeks I'll be home and able to chase flathead in Bate Bay 

So can you leave a few Dave. 

Bruce 

Righto Bruce, I'll leave a few.

Jackets are about, some only small, but the ones chewing off 2/0 hooks will be big enough to keep and eat. Mostly over 100 feet of water for the jackets.

I'll be heading north next week with the caravan (hopefully have another crack at the flatties before I head off). Up as far as Bundaberg, don't know if I will be doing much fishing while away, just cruising along the coast and inland roads.

Edited by Yowie