Eastern Suburbs Spinning

Dave77

G’day Raiders,

Recently moved to Maroubra, Sydney and I’ve been keen to snag some tailor or salmon spinning from the rocks but for the life of me can’t seem to find any. I’ve tried from the rocks of South Coogee, Maroubra, Malabar and La Perouse casting into foamy wash and ended up empty handed each time. I’m running 20 lb braid and a 30 lb mono leader and using different lures and different retrieves but can’t seem to find them. 

Could anyone point me into the right direction?

Cheers in advance, tight lines. 

Don't know the area, but any lures that look like a Garfish or small baitfish should see you get something, very early morning or late afternoon is best, the predators come in close to hunt, deeper water with a bit of wash are good starting places, the rocks at the ends of beaches are also good spots.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Don't know the area, but any lures that look like a Garfish or small baitfish should see you get something, very early morning or late afternoon is best, the predators come in close to hunt, deeper water with a bit of wash are good starting places, the rocks at the ends of beaches are also good spots.

Been using metal lures and poppers that mimic bait fish and have been fishing areas that you’ve described usually from 4:30pm to dark, baffles me that I haven’t run into anything yet, starting to think Sydney doesn’t have any fish left

Dave, while it is harder this time of the year you might have to look at what your using for the lures & the size of line you are using?

What species are you targeting?

If your fishing for the bread & butter species like bream, flathead, whiting, snapper etc then your fishing a bit heavy imo, also it could be worth changing over to fluro for your leader material .

If your fishing around rocks then sure up your leader BUT heavier leader usually results in less hook ups.

What about bait a back up? I mostly use SP's & lures but hey if your not catching fish then I throw in a bait.

Also use the forum search tab, some good info might just be at your finger tips, even though some of these are older it just gives you an idea what/where/when & how-

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Dave, while it is harder this time of the year you might have to look at what your using for the lures & the size of line you are using?

What species are you targeting?

If your fishing for the bread & butter species like bream, flathead, whiting, snapper etc then your fishing a bit heavy imo, also it could be worth changing over to fluro for your leader material .

If your fishing around rocks then sure up your leader BUT heavier leader usually results in less hook ups.

What about bait a back up? I mostly use SP's & lures but hey if your not catching fish then I throw in a bait.

Also use the forum search tab, some good info might just be at your finger tips, even though some of these are older it just gives you an idea what/where/when & how-

Some good advice there

Fish need to be there first. Usually at those places they swim by, it's not a hangout for the species you mentioned. Thicker leaders won't matter with metals as you'd be retrieving at a higher speed. Mix up the action a little is one thing you can try.

There are been days where I have no touches for 2 hours and then all of a sudden one hook up on a bonnie or taylor and then nothing for a while longer. Same technique, same lure different time of day. I've schools of large taylors go by around there but they don't stay for long.

At this time of year don't disregard throwing lures from the beach. There will be salmon and tailor hanging in the gutters and holes, plus fish on the beach are not as fussy when it comes to lure size. 

I'd drop my leader size down a bit for the beach too. Personally I use 15lb braid and 12 or 20lb leader and any metal lure between say 40 and 60 grams will catch fish.