Calamari in the cross-hairs

TheCount

Living on the Central Coast and working in Sydney means leaving early 5 days a week to miss the traffic. I'm thinking that I should not be so keen to get to the office but bring a rod and gear with me and check out some areas along the way. Work is at Rhodes, so trying anywhere close is not going to happen so I'm asking for ideas where I can have a go (land based) and I'd love to target squid.

Thanks, and I look forward to writing a bit about the experience.

TC.

I guess it depends how much time you have available to stray from your path to work. I dont fish the harbour/parra river much at all but i would imagine Rhodes is a bit far up for squid. Maybe bream, Flathead, Jewies? I would imagine you wouldn't want to fish around Brooklyn and then try to drive to work in traffic, that would negate leaving early.

Edited by Captain Spanner

8 hours ago, TheCount said:

Living on the Central Coast and working in Sydney means leaving early 5 days a week to miss the traffic. I'm thinking that I should not be so keen to get to the office but bring a rod and gear with me and check out some areas along the way. Work is at Rhodes, so trying anywhere close is not going to happen so I'm asking for ideas where I can have a go (land based) and I'd love to target squid.

Thanks, and I look forward to writing a bit about the experience.

TC.

Hi TheCount- Abbotsford Ferry Wharf produces quite a few squid some nights- mostly on the small side (great bait size)- there's rarely a night that someone isn't there trying for them. Best spot is to fish off the eastern side of the walkway out to the wharf, using small jigs (up to 2.5 size). Pheromone or scent spray on the jig recommended when jigging up the river.

Battersea Park around the car parking end can be ok for a couple at high tide also, but again, they are often not much bigger than your jig. Some nights the council ranger locks the gate, but not often. A few fish around both those spots also, but when fishing the wharf, there are hours of use restrictions (check with Waterways or Sydney Ferries) Can also get crowded some nights, but you can generally get a spot on walkway

• Thanks 1

Stick to fishing for squid on the central coast on the weekends. There are stacks around at the moment. I caught 9 in an hour off my local rock ledge last Saturday then another 7 in 20 mins on Sunday (I wasn’t intending on fishing for squid on Sunday, just thought I’d have a few casts before I left).

And most of them are quality size (up to 30cm hood length). I use 3.5 size jigs and have been getting them on orange, red and black jigs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Central Coast Fisherman said:

Stick to fishing for squid on the central coast on the weekends. There are stacks around at the moment.

I’ll second that Phil, I got some in the morning before the last weekend, did you do the same or were yours caught around sunset 

cheers Dieter 

Edited by 61 crusher
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for confirming the Coast is better, but I'm just never home till 7 or 8...

I'll do a drive-by visit to some areas close by like Abbotsford and Cabarita next week - thanks Waza. I won't fish around Rhodes due to the residual dioxins so aiming further East is a better option.

I'll have a crack this weekend and see what happens.

Cheers,

TC.