Northern Beaches Mixed Bag

GoingFishing

Gdat Raiders

Late report from Sunday as I've been quite busy the last few days.

Headed out Sunday morning with dad and a mate Ralph to chase some fish along the northern beaches. Early on the wind made for some bone biting cold and a drift of about 2.5 to 3km /hr even with the sea anchor out which was not ideal. The wind died down later around 1030-11. 

We spent the early morning trying for snapper but could only find three legal pannies between 30 and 35cm. Lost alot of gear to jackets which was very frustrating. I did get one large squid which we kept and used for bait. Eventually moved on to the flathead grounds and found a few. We also kept one of the jackets, probably out of spite but mum does like eating them. 

Back at the ramp we repaired the missing roller on the trailer that I discovered last week, loaded and strapped the boat and were on our way !

Thanks for reading

Screenshot_20190730-083708_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190730-083808_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, frankS said:

Sam been waiting to hear from you about that roller ?. Well done on the mixed bag, those Jackets are great on the table and easy to catch, clean and cook.

Frank

Thanks Frank, that jacket had some size to it so was worth keeping !

Dad ended up buying the roller for 12 dollars i think including the washer and pin. Since the cost was so small i didnt want to bother you !

A nice feed there.

The jacket is a "reef" species, bit hard to tell in the photo, but it may be a horseshoe jacket or similar. The meat on those "reef" species can be a bit tougher than the chinaman jackets or "estuary" species.

47 minutes ago, Yowie said:

A nice feed there.

The jacket is a "reef" species, bit hard to tell in the photo, but it may be a horseshoe jacket or similar. The meat on those "reef" species can be a bit tougher than the chinaman jackets or "estuary" species.

I think it is a 6 spined leatherjacket and they are excellent eating. Lighter in colour when first captured but go dark when they die.

that one would be approaching maximum size.

Frank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frankS said:

I think it is a 6 spined leatherjacket and they are excellent eating. Lighter in colour when first captured but go dark when they die.

that one would be approaching maximum size.

Frank

Now can see what appears to be the "6 spines" on the tail, not easy to see on this laptop.

On 7/30/2019 at 11:49 AM, frankS said:

Sam. see your PM's .

Frank

Thanks Frank

On 7/30/2019 at 4:47 PM, Rebel said:

Great photos and a great morning.

Cheers Rebel

On 7/30/2019 at 5:31 PM, Yowie said:

A nice feed there.

Thanks Yowie, im not a huge fan of the jackets irrespective of the species but taste can be subjective !

On 7/30/2019 at 5:46 PM, jnrfinatic said:

Nice feed mate 

Well done 

Adem 

Cheers Adem

On 7/30/2019 at 6:01 PM, Scratchie said:

Another good day out with your dad and a mate! Bought home a feed. Doesn’t get much better! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers Jeff, every day spent with friends and family is a blessing