King/jew Rod

lurespinner

hey guys

i hav decided that a squidgy barra would probably not suit me as well as i thought :1prop:

what i am looking for is a rod which has enough power to handle kings landbased (livebaiting),

while still being able to cast a sluggo or sp a decent distance :wacko:

it has to be 2 piece or 6ft or less coz of car space

any suggestions guys?

thanks for all your help

hey guys

i hav decided that a squidgy barra would probably not suit me as well as i thought :1prop:

what i am looking for is a rod which has enough power to handle kings landbased (livebaiting),

while still being able to cast a sluggo or sp a decent distance :wacko:

it has to be 2 piece or 6ft or less coz of car space

any suggestions guys?

thanks for all your help

Landbased from the river or the stones?

river/wharf

Ok for River work you dont need something massive and could probably get away with something like the squidgy Barra, that style of rod would be the best compromise in terms of throwing lures around as well.

Of course it depends on the river system, but generally you will be looking at smallish kings so you should be safe, that rod will handle a jew pretty easily too (I used to have a squidgy Barra but found it a little too stiff for the majority of my plastic work.

Other wise get a 9ft or so cheap PENN (kmart $60) for livebaiting and spends a few extra Dollars for a nice 7 or 8ft Med-Heavy Spin rod with a nice tip to chuck plastics around (can highly recommend the Nitro Magnum Butt - $269.00)

yeah

the majority of the time would be livebaiting

i just need a rod that can still be able to chuck a big sp far enough

Chucking Big Sp's with a livebait rod will not be a problem, but throwing unweighted sluggos will be. A nice 8/9ft 10kg/15kg stick will happily livebait and also allow you to throw 40gm+ lures.

the_lure is on the money with what you should be looking for. Its all a compromise though. There aren't a whole heap of 9ft spin rods out there. A custom job would get you something that could do both very well, but you'd be spending alot more money.

start ballooning your baits

Trying to enlarge my fish knowledge and maybe catch more!!!

Do you mean trying a water bomb or similar to the line??

Ive heard about it but havnt tried nor do i really know what to do!!!

cheers if you can help...

For land based spinning, (ocean rocks) I found a silstar PF-802GPM (8 foot 2 piece).Its nothing flash as far as construction goes but it will throw my fave king spin lure, a 40g raider a good way and deal with a good fish due to a taper that is hard to find. And it should cost round $100 or so, not bad.

Balooning; The #no 1 LBG rig for rat kings to marlin.

Set up a livie rig, long leader long double plus circle or other solid hook,

depending on personal choice tie cotton to leader or double, then make a loop and tie a (inflated) balloon to the cotton.

When the livie is hit the cotton breaks then its you vs the fish.

XL yakkas or slimies need 2x cotton, bonito or salmon 3 or 4x cotton.

Dont be afraid of big baits, I caught plenty of undersized rats on 10inch yakkas!!

Steve