Rompin Malaysia sailfishing

wrxhoon1

We fished 3 days last week in Kuala Rompin Malaysia for sails. These are superfast and they put up excellent acrobatics . Fishing with spinning gear , great fun . Not huge fish all around the 25-40 kg mark. All fish released to fight another day and only 2 fish brought on the boat for photos ( one each angler)

IMG_5667.jpg

0X6A3722.jpg

0X6A4290.jpg

• Like 9

I’d love to do that. Can you tell us more about the trip and your arrangements? Like whether you booked before leaving. How many in the boat. Was it a good charter. Where did you stay. Did you go just for the fishing or do anything else.

Costs would be good to know too.

Any detail would be interesting.

cheers

V.

It was arranged from Australia , you can fly to either Singapore or Kuala Lumpur. We flew out of mascot Monday morning and returned  Saturday morning. Most people go to KL then drive to Kuala Rompin or get a bus there. We flew to Singapore because Qantas doesn't fly to KL and I don't like Malaysian airlines .  We then got a car with driver to drive us to Pekan ( about 80 km further north from Rompin) . Pecan is closer to the fishing grounds than Rompin and more places on the way out to get livies. The drive from Singapore to Pekan, about 300 km, was about 4.5 hours including some delay in border crossing. Our driver was a Malaysian woman in her 30's and she had a Toyota SUV. She picked us up at Changi airport and took us to our hotel then picked us up from our hotel and took us to the airport. She arranged and paid for the border  toll.

We fished 3 days and stayed in our hotel 4 nights.

The charter was great on a 34' F/G boat with tween 150 4 stroke Yammies, captain , deckie and the organiser ( a Swidish guy, Jonas, he moved there 35 years ago) Only 2 of us fishing myself and my son, the boat will take up to 4. The charter is for 10 hour days port to port and they pick you up at your hotel in the morning and take you back in the arvo.  The boat is Malaysian built ( all of them are) seemed strong but finished rough, equipped with a basic fishfinder and a portable GPS but you only fish in about 20-25 mtrs. She has plenty deck space and some cover for the sun. The weather was great the first day and very good the other 2 days . You don't get big swells there . The boat was pretty flat bottom and was cruising at 3500-3800 RPM at 20-23 knots, about 75 minutes to the fishing grounds . He stops on the way on some fads to catch the livies, sardines, mackerel, yakkas and some others. 

Once you get to the grounds you cruise along and when you spot the fish you drop the livies in ( 2-3 rods). It doesn't take long to hook up , as soon as you hook up the fish starts the acrobatics , other rods in, engines on and the skipper backs on or drives away depending on where the fish goes. You are busy winding to keep the line tight or holding on whilst the fish runs. They are super fast , jump a lot and strip a lot of line on spinning gear, spit the hooks, some runs 200 mtrs and the fish are not huge. 

They use 5/0 circle hooks so fish are hooked on the side of the mouth and all fish are released at the boat, deckie takes the hook off . 

Cost for the 2 of us all up excluding flight to Singapore was under $5000.au

Car+driver from Sing to Pecan $300 au  each way.

Boat charter per day was $760 US so about $3300 au for 3 days.

Hotel Ancasa Royale Pekan was about $90 per room per night ( very cheap) including breakfast so all up $360 . This is the best hotel in Pekan..    http://www.ancasahotels.com.my/

The rest was for dinners and drinks., lunch and drinks was supplied on the boat was included in the price .

Flights from Sydney to Sing depends on the airline, cabin class and time you want to fly.

This is the one we went with, check it on their website.

Jonas will take photos for you and he will email them included in the price.

http://www.malaysia-fishing.com/pekan-sailfish-fishing-32381410DEAL

If you don't mind flying Malaysian airlines you can fly to KL and take another flight to Kuantan very close to Pekan or rent a car in KL and drive your self , they drive on the left like us and petrol is very cheap about 70-80 cents per lt for 95 ron.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with .

$76

bb

20% less than usual

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
Allowing this link to charter pm for further info