Outboard oil

JimC

Do not start your motor with that oil in it  2st oil is designed to burn and lubricate  4st oil is designed not to burn   you will seize your motor if you run it with 4t in it   remove oil tank and drain also squeeze any oil back up out of the lines  

• Like 1

Being only 30HP, and you haven't run it yet, just "suck" the oil out of the container with a small pump, you can buy one for a couple of dollars, then refill with the correct oil and go boating.

Just to put your mind at ease, a mate that I crab with regularly has the same motor, and went to a big chain store and bought 4L of "outboard oil" he used his boat all summer before he actually read the label and in much smaller writing it said 4 stroke before the outboard oil, that doesn't mean it's OK, or recommended, but his engine is perfectly OK now, he makes sure he properly reads labels now!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 4:40 PM, kingie chaser said:

Cheap considering a re build or replacement motor.

We can all make mistakes, hopefully only once!

100% agree ... on both.

I still do not know how, to this day, I managed to put full tank of unleaded fuel into my diesel ute. Brian fade moment as I picked up the nozzle at the bowser is all I can muster as any form of defense. And, just like this outboard boating instance, I had the ute towed and drained the tank to avoid any possible engine issue. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than an engine rebuild.