Expired Marine Flares Collection Program for the 2019-20 season

raging

I've never let one off but i have heard if you ever do need to let one off out in the wind and waves you will probably wish you had a pair of welding gloves in the flare bag and maybe not be wearing anything too flammable and plasticy  while you are holding it and it's burning and throwing sparks all over you.

11 hours ago, Captain Spanner said:

I've never let one off but i have heard if you ever do need to let one off out in the wind and waves you will probably wish you had a pair of welding gloves in the flare bag and maybe not be wearing anything too flammable and plasticy  while you are holding it and it's burning and throwing sparks all over you.

I am in the process of uploading a video of how to do this right now. It will be in Boating and I will pin it.

It's  a shame we all can't go to a location on a certain date to practice with old flares. We recently set some off doing our coxswain 1 course and I also have a friend in remote QLD where I've got my kids to learne how to use them.  We found that many of the red night ones failed but all the orange smoke ones have been fine. Flares get extremely hot, hence why it would be good for everyone to actually use them without the stress of first doing it in an emergency.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JonD said:

It's  a shame we all can't go to a location on a certain date to practice with old flares. We recently set some off doing our coxswain 1 course and I also have a friend in remote QLD where I've got my kids to learne how to use them.  We found that many of the red night ones failed but all the orange smoke ones have been fine. Flares get extremely hot, hence why it would be good for everyone to actually use them without the stress of first doing it in an emergency.

• Like 1