Auxiliary motor

Joeyd

I have a 17' 2" Pongrass waverider and use a 15 hp Johnson 2 stroke for a 2nd motor. Pretty slow going but it would get me home if the main motor carked it. 

You need to have the 2nd motor mounted so it's easy to use and make sure IF you have it on a auxiliary bracket that the bracket is rated to your HP .

Frank 

You hardly see auxiliary motors these days, I guess there's so many boats around it's unlikely you will be stranded alone. Don't skimp on the HP, little 6+8 HP will barely make headway in good conditions, let alone with some wind and chop, also make sure it will actually reach deep enough in the water when in use, and start and run it regularly.

Edited by noelm
Typo

1 hour ago, noelm said:

You hardly see auxiliary motors these days, I guess there's so many boats around it's unlikely you will be stranded alone.

Its still the law I believe to have a second means of propulsion(oars or motor) in vessels under 6mtrs, still Im not sure why nsw rms state vessels over 6mtrs should just consider it 🤨

Would an electric motor be suitable here instead of a petrol motor??

That way you could fit something like a Minkota & use it for both fishing & meet the needs of the rules.

Thanks kingie 

Never thought a electric motor would be powerful enough to get the boat back to the ramp in case the orginal motor fails 

Whats your thoughts on a electric 54lbs water snake electric motor?

1 hour ago, Joeyd said:

Never thought a electric motor would be powerful enough to get the boat back to the ramp

Im not saying it is in all cases!!

Im just saying its a second method of propulsion.

If I was 10NM offshore I would not want to rely on an electric trolling motor.

If I am in a bay or estuary then I am sure they are more than capable of getting you to a shore.

Ive never had an electric so cant comment on performance but if I add one to my tinny I can then take the oars out 😁

Edited by kingie chaser

5 minutes ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...how far will a battery get you would be my concern with electric motors.

Comes down to amp hours capacity of the battery & what the draw/output of what the motor is.

There are plenty of calculators out their.

Like in the recent VSR thread if your going to install a 12V motor then you need to have a Aux battery & charging system essential.

Edited by kingie chaser

10 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Comes down to amp hours capacity of the battery & what the draw/output of what the motor is.

There are plenty of calculators out their.

Like in the recent VSR thread if your going to install a 12V motor then you need to have a Aux battery & charging system essential.

9 minutes ago, Joeyd said:

So stay away fron the water snake electric to get me back to the ramp in the bay?

It's a big bay. The electric might not get you back, especially against wind and waves.. I'd only get one if you needed it for fishing and yours is really not that style of boat. There is not much risk in anchoring up and waiting for the Coastguard to come and get you in enclosed waters.. I'd invest in a two way radio. 

Though by all means if it makes you more comfortable to be able to help yourself then invest in an auxiliary.