Go to soft plastic for kings ?

kingbonito

I wanna no what people’s go to softplastics are for kings land based ? I used 7inch Z’man jerkshads in pearl colour mainly and catch a fair few, what are other people using? Maybe there’s another soft plastic/colour use might be killing it on 

• Like 1

Like most fish, there is always a variety of lures that work, for the different situations.

A popular choice is the 6" and 9" slapstix. My personal favourite is a 3" powerboat minnow and strangely enough, a 40mm glow shrimp from china on a 2-4kg setup for rats on 2lb fireline!

• Like 1

Not sure about land based mate but from the boat it depends on what they are feeding on. I usually tie a 5 inch jerk shad on for starters but will move up to a 7inch if there are lot of larger slimies/yakkas in the area or down to 4 inch grub if they are smashing tiny baitfish. I usually stick to the lighter colours and anything with silver to for contrast in low light conditions. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kingbonito said:

I wanna no what people’s go to softplastics are for kings land based ? I used 7inch Z’man jerkshads in pearl colour mainly and catch a fair few, what are other people using? Maybe there’s another soft plastic/colour use might be killing it on 

Mate the zman slim swims are good. Zman minnowz are a good subsurface topwater plastic as long as you match the hatch so to speak. slug 'o' s are also really good. As you said the jerkshads are also super good.

They either like a real fast jerky sharp bait movement, this charges up their chase/competitive instincts so they aren't the looser. although when they are hungry are more natural slow to medium constant wind is also really good. 

I have caught kingfish on all of those plastics, Zman grubs go ok but that is bi-catch mostly.

The truth is if you see kings and you got a plastic rigged and they are hungry you got the hookup, the next story is landing it. 

• Like 1

I really think its more about the action rather than the type of plastic.

Caught a small king in Botany last year & I could actually see the pair in the water as they were only a couple of metres down.

Dropped in the plastic & was lifting it up & letting it drop, they came over for look but then turned away.

I then started to move it very erratically & that's when they got interested in it.

Could have been any colour or style I recon!!