Port Stephens- Very quick morning flick

Scratchie

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Haha! Well get yourself up here Jon and I’m sure I could cure that itch! 

That's so tempting, must admit the drive from here and getting through Sydney is always a bit of a turn off!!!....currently dropping a fortune into the latest boat unfortunately.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...Jond...you would be a fool to knock back a Broughton trip with scratchie.he will put you onto snapper guaranteed.ill go as far to say over 60cm guaranteed.

Gees Mick, no pressure 😬 I’m sure if you got up here we’d find something! 

• Like 4

OPEN QUESTION: How important is it to use your sounder when fishing Broughton and surrounding areas? Assuming it is important, describe what you're looking for. As someone who doesn't really rely on one to fish my local areas and knows little about them, I can only imagine that knowing how to use one would be a big asset. Cheers, bn

If you dont know an area you are looking for the depth you wish to fish   some say they sound around looking for fish but others like me dont want to drive over the area you are goin to fish   if i can hang over the back of my boat and hear the audible clicking of the sounder sending pulses im sure it must disturb some fish   this is more pertinent in shallow water and only my thoughts   others may have a different opinion

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

OPEN QUESTION: How important is it to use your sounder when fishing Broughton and surrounding areas? Assuming it is important, describe what you're looking for. As someone who doesn't really rely on one to fish my local areas and knows little about them, I can only imagine that knowing how to use one would be a big asset. Cheers, bn

So how important is the sounder?

Well, first you need to know your intended target area. Use your first drift to watch the sounder and find what side of the structure the bait is gathered. This will generally repeat itself over the entire area and what depth the bait is holding. This will allow you to get more casts in the right areas, using the right weight to your jig and by keeping the lure in the strike zone for longer then you are more of a chance of being productive! It narrows down your target area, rather than drifting on a baron waste land. It also lets you know when to pull lines in and start the next drift. 
The sounder is one thing but your drift plotter/gps is another handy tool that goes hand in hand with your sounder. Knowing how to set a drift now that you’ve found your intended area is a real key component. It allows you to work a small area for a prolonged period of time providing you haven’t driven over your drift. If you constantly keep one eye on it whilst fishing and record when you get a bite,  a pattern will start to emerge on what’s working! 

Anyway, that’s a brief breakdown on what goes through my head whilst using them. Sure, it’s a lot to process but after time it becomes a lot easier and only requires a glimpse. 

Most important thing, “just keep casting” 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Thanks 1

Great advice scratchie.. bit of insight into the thought process behind using a sounder. I usually find advice about sounders consist of a screen shot of a large pinnacle lit up with 20 large arches (probably straight off the Lowrance how to video lol)

6 minutes ago, Bolts1 said:

Great advice scratchie.. bit of insight into the thought process behind using a sounder. I usually find advice about sounders consist of a screen shot of a large pinnacle lit up with 20 large arches (probably straight off the Lowrance how to video lol)

Sometimes you will see the arches on the sounder, that will generally mean you have missed them and drifted over them. Although, it does mean the area is productive. The presence of bait will mean the predators/target will be either, under, surrounding or following the bait school. This is why you cast ahead of the boat! 

55 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Sometimes you will see the arches on the sounder, that will generally mean you have missed them and drifted over them. Although, it does mean the area is productive. The presence of bait will mean the predators/target will be either, under, surrounding or following the bait school. This is why you cast ahead of the boat! 

Thanks Scratchie, If you did see a series of arches on the screen without a touch/hook up, would you change your plastic for the next drift?

13 minutes ago, Bolts1 said:

Thanks Scratchie, If you did see a series of arches on the screen without a touch/hook up, would you change your plastic for the next drift?

If that situation kept occurring, I’d put a slimie fillet on a jig head, work it the same way as a plastic and see what happens. Sometimes they’ll respond to plastics and other times bait. It pays to be versatile. But sometimes they just don’t want to eat. That is when I change locations and will come back to that area just before a tide change! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

If that situation kept occurring, I’d put a slimie fillet on a jig head, work it the same way as a plastic and see what happens. Sometimes they’ll respond to plastics and other times bait. It pays to be versatile. But sometimes they just don’t want to eat. That is when I change locations and will come back to that area just before a tide change! 

:) I used to do the same thing when fishing the washes with bait.. very lightly weighted slimy fillet cast as close to the rocks as possible and then let it waft back into the deeper water.

Since I started fishing with plastics I thought it was a waste of time to stop to gather livies and headed straight to the first drift for sun up.. Mainly to avoid the temptation to switch back to bait if the plastics weren't working :)

15 minutes ago, Bolts1 said:

:) I used to do the same thing when fishing the washes with bait.. very lightly weighted slimy fillet cast as close to the rocks as possible and then let it waft back into the deeper water.

Since I started fishing with plastics I thought it was a waste of time to stop to gather livies and headed straight to the first drift for sun up.. Mainly to avoid the temptation to switch back to bait if the plastics weren't working :)

I always get livies and always drift one behind me as I cast in front. It is another option and the last year has proven to be successful. I scored 25 snapper, a few kings, and a mako whilst using this method. A slimie fillet or head on a jig can be deadly. Just be sure to set the hook hard when you get a bite! 

• Thanks 1