Help... Hairtail?

Piss'n'Broke

Hi All.

With the kings and dollies starting to thin out,, I was considering chasing hairtail as it is that time of the year.

Just wondered if anyone has tried for hairtail yet and if they had any success?

Not after your spots, as I have my own, just wanted to know if they are about yet.

Many thanks

Dan

34 minutes ago, Piss'n'Broke said:

Hi All.

With the kings and dollies starting to thin out,, I was considering chasing hairtail as it is that time of the year.

Not after your spots, as I have my own, just wanted to know if they are about yet.

Many thanks

Dan

Hi Dan  have heard through the "grapevine" there are a few around at both Newcastle and Cowan but so far, they have been under 1 metre long.

Anzac day used to be the "unofficial" start to the season

26 minutes ago, Piss'n'Broke said:

Thanks mate. I know they are a fickle fish to target. In both regards, seasonal,, sometimes they turn up, sometimes they don’t. 
I appreciate your help, might give it a few weeks & try for them. 
Dan

Hi Dan they are around, there have been a few caught- always nice to be up getting them before the crowds turn up. Often, early season they are a bit harder to target but if you cube burley for them, often you can entice the bite. Flint and Steel is worth a go on the run in early season as they come past in big schools at times before moving into Cowan 

Good luck when you go

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 1:15 PM, Piss'n'Broke said:

Hi All.

Many thanks

Dan

Had a pretty good size hairtail chase my surface lure down near McCarrs Creek last week but seemed to shy off when it approached more shallow water, nevertheless was pretty cool seeing one as I wasn't expecting it at all 

• Like 1

Hairtail are very good on chew. Caught many.
they have no scales so just wipe down with a rough cloth. The gut cavity is very short and easy to clean. Lop the head and the rest of the fish is one flat muscle fillet. I cut mine into 8” lengths, dust with flour or crumbs and shallow fry. 

Search FR lots of discussion re how to prepare and serve. 

cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Are hairtail good on the chew??

never caught one, never tried it.

They are supposed to be related to barracoutas and frost fish, would go near a couta!

Hi KC Hairtail are great to eat, always been one of my favourites. 

Like Zoran, I cut mine into 8 in chunks, then fillet the chunks, cutting from dorsal edge towards centre of the fish, right on the bones, the fillet then "folds" over the the spine as you run the knife along the raised spine edge and back flat along the bones. They are really easy to fillet ad you get no bones at all and have almost no waste whatsoever. The filleted frames look like the classic "cartoon" fish skeletons A lot of my friends like the skin and I never bother getting it off any more, you can take it off simply after it's cooked if you fry it or bbq it.

Just flour it for the bbq, but cook well any method from steaming to frying

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi KC Hairtail are great to eat, always been one of my favourites. 

Like Zoran, I cut mine into 8 in chunks, then fillet the chunks, cutting from dorsal edge towards centre of the fish, right on the bones, the fillet then "folds" over the the spine as you run the knife along the raised spine edge and back flat along the bones. They are really easy to fillet ad you get no bones at all and have almost no waste whatsoever. The filleted frames look like the classic "cartoon" fish skeletons A lot of my friends like the skin and I never bother getting it off any more, you can take it off simply after it's cooked if you fry it or bbq it.

Just flour it for the bbq, but cook well any method from steaming to frying

Thanks Waza, I'd love to try it one day.

Im sort of thinking it might have a texture like Gemfish maybe?

Seems like the most frequent place they are caught is in the Hawkesbury?

4 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Like Waza & Zoran said they are easy to fillet & the taste is quite mild, perfect for people who don’t like a strong flavoured fish, if they are around & fickle the hardest part is getting the hooks to stick

See what happens with the current restrictions, if they ease up I’ll take you out to have a crack at them Adrian 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

See what happens with the current restrictions, if they ease up I’ll take you out to have a crack at them Adrian 

Is this the start of a Fishraider Hairtail sesh social !!!

Cheers Z

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Im sort of thinking it might have a texture like Gemfish maybe?

Seems like the most frequent place they are caught is in the Hawkesbury?

Hi KC not quite as fine as gemmies but they go with anything.

They are getting them in Sydney Harbour again and plenty, albeit small so far, in Cowan

If they're finicky, either no wire and gangs, or light wire and single hook. I always make long traces- about 60-70 cm for them so you can let them have the bait as long as necessary without a bite off.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Piss'n'Broke said:

Thanks EVERYONE for the info :1worthy:. I didn't expect so much feedback, its been great to read everyone's input, as you have all made my mind up for me

I'll be going out this weekend for them.

Dan

Good luck Dan, they are getting them in Cowan now as well as Sydney Harbour.  A bit shy last week they reckon and ganged small Pilly's WITHOUT  wire was getting more action last weekend

• Like 1