Trolling from a kayak advice needed

Luke01

New member looking for some advice.

I’m a pom living in Sydney on a working holiday visa, Fished in the UK but doesn’t come close to fishing down under, I’ve had reasonable success over the past few months catching bream, flathead and trevally mostly Fished with baits, Over the past few weeks I’ve swapped over to try fish with lures, and really enjoying trolling from my kayak.  

The advice I’m looking for is to try catch some new species, specifically Jewfish or Kingfish. Does anyone have any tips for trolling a kayak for these fish? 

Also any spots to recommend?

Iv been successful with slow trolling deep diving hard bodies catching some good flathead but not really sure how to start targeting kingfish or jewfish, any tips are appreciated. 

Hello Luke, You are better of using baits for jews than hardbodies. Drifting with baits on the bottom in 10metres+ water with baits such as squid tailor slab mullet yakka slimies etc u will hav a chance at jews but check out the jewfish threads on this site they will inform you

I would troll up around north head, south head, around the wedding cakes and around manly as they are generally easy to get bonito taolor salmon n kings on big rapala deep divers. Although for these you will have to implement a faster troll than for flatties

Edited by JAKSShark

54 minutes ago, JAKSShark said:

Hello Luke, You are better of using baits for jews than hardbodies. Drifting with baits on the bottom in 10metres+ water with baits such as squid tailor slab mullet yakka slimies etc u will hav a chance at jews but check out the jewfish threads on this site they will inform you

I would troll up around north head, south head, around the wedding cakes and around manly as they are generally easy to get bonito taolor salmon n kings on big rapala deep divers. Although for these you will have to implement a faster troll than for flatties

Appreciate the advice, I’ll be heading out this weekend to give it a go, I’ll probably try south head it’s closest to me and I have a spot in mind to launch the kayak. Have to do a little bit more research about set ups but can see these forums are stacked with tips. Never know could end up doing my first report if I manage to hook into something worth noting! 

live-bait 1 wind  off the bottom. Live yakkas, legal tailor, herring, mullet, pilchards, redbait, butterbream, squid. Most of these can be caught with a sabiki bait jig which does not require bait. Legal tailor will take a bit more effort though. Just burley bread around structure or wharves and you should get some bites from some of these fish. and they will all work as a live-bait. If its a big one like a legal tailor fillets will also be satisfactory. You will need a squid jig to catch squid they are almost impossible to hook on hardbodies and they love the action of squid jigs. 

For both your target species focus around steap drops of deep holes if you have a sounder and can sound them up its even better.