Westerly Swell???

Berleyguts

I’ve got three days off work and was hoping to go fishing now the local ramps are open to local residents. Had stuff to do this morning but might go for a beach session this arvo, even though it’s a falling tide. Was hoping to fish outside tomorrow - but wet and windy; and/or Friday - but strong westerly winds and a WNW swell predicted. Has anyone seen a westerly swell on the east coast before? Is it possible? Is it fishable? 🤷‍♂️ 😐 

938099EC-EB21-488C-9A69-A30F7AEF5A3C.jpeg

westerly swell well basically flat along the coast but as you travel eastwards swell gets bigger and bigger....then when you come back in you are travelling into it. ( I'm not a boaty but from my limited experiance)

Jim

• Like 1

usually good conditions for rock fishing especially live baiting with balloons etc. however need to be careful in the mornings as you often get a ground swell which comes back towards the coastline which can be a trap. Once the westerly wind kicks in during the day the swell usually flattens out...

Jim

• Like 1

Baz,

There have been a few westerly swells recently, only short lived though. Swell close in was  small from the east, nor-east, sou-east, however, once out a few kms, the swell was from the west and building further out.

With the predicted westerlies over the next few days, there will be a westerly swell a bit further out, though the wind will switch more sou-west during the weekend and puff up a big southerly swell.

You would need several days of strong westerlies to flatten out the swells on the east coast. Have seen it happen a few times, though over many years.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Baz,

There have been a few westerly swells recently, only short lived though. Swell close in was  small from the east, nor-east, sou-east, however, once out a few kms, the swell was from the west and building further out.

With the predicted westerlies over the next few days, there will be a westerly swell a bit further out, though the wind will switch more sou-west during the weekend and puff up a big southerly swell.

You would need several days of strong westerlies to flatten out the swells on the east coast. Have seen it happen a few times, though over many years.

Thanks Yowie. I’ve just never noticed a westerly swell in the forecast before. Maybe because I wasn’t looking as I wasn’t thinking about going for a fish! 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, the forecast called for lots of rain and 18+ knot NNE winds, so I decided not to fish today. Of course, we only had a little rain and the winds are not so strong. Go figure!

28 minutes ago, jot said:

there is a lot to said about looking out the window when weather forecasting :)

Jim

True that... but it’s often quite still at 3 or 4am when I get up to go. 😉 I like to know what’s its going to do the rest of the morning and early afternoon. 😎 it turned out to be blowing a gale soon after my last post in this thread, so it could have caught me out offshore. Was better I stayed at home. There’s always next week. 😎