Barracuda sesh

mark atalay

Mark  you need to get either some nsw fisheries stickers that have all the common species  size and bag limits  or download a fish id app on your fone   not trying to bag you but there are some fish that are inedible poisonous and some that are poisonous to touch  as in spikes and venoms   i would hate to see someone injured by ignorance    lately i have seen people on FB  asking what common species are     if you dont know  look em up or release them   

• Like 8

I thought Barracouta were given a new common name of Gemfish to make them commercially acceptable. I don't think this is correct and if not what fish was given the Gemfish identity?

Jim

Gemfish has nothing to do with 'Coutas, the old name for Gemfish was Hake, but it was often confused with "Flake" and the true Hake they get in the Mediteranian countries

Guest Guest123456789

Coutas are a delicacy go out again and get your bag limit

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

Just to add, they are edible, and are indeed fished for specifically in some southern states, not too sure about the worms, they do have a kind of funny looking flesh near the tail that looks like worms, but supposedly completely harmless to humans, unless they are really big ones, they have little flesh, being very skinny, I hate them (not eating) they are a pest, biting off gear in a second.

On 4/30/2020 at 6:47 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

Mark  you need to get either some nsw fisheries stickers that have all the common species  size and bag limits  or download a fish id app on your fone   not trying to bag you but there are some fish that are inedible poisonous and some that are poisonous to touch  as in spikes and venoms   i would hate to see someone injured by ignorance    lately i have seen people on FB  asking what common species are     if you dont know  look em up or release them   

Also some that are protected and can land you in pretty serious trouble if you keep them illegally. Always best to release a fish if you cant identify it and make sure you find out for next time.

Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James Clain said:

Sorry to hijack thread but are the great barracuda caught in nsw and/or sydney?

Hi James cuda= northern species, couta= southern species. We used to call them "Pickhandles" like noelm said pest species to us here, as they often bite jigs/gear off on the drop, but commonly eaten in other states and countries. They fish for them in Victoria

Couta's are a sign of cold water and if you get one move on, you will rarely catch anything else when they are about.

If you want to keep one and try it out on the plate, slit it's gut cavity and the green slime will probably convince you to just keep it for bait and move on.

Frank

• Like 1

6 hours ago, frankS said:

Couta's are a sign of cold water and if you get one move on, you will rarely catch anything else when they are about.

If you want to keep one and try it out on the plate, slit it's gut cavity and the green slime will probably convince you to just keep it for bait and move on.

Frank

not to mention the smell Frank!