JAKSShark

10 hours ago, JAKSShark said:

Awesome thanks

So ive narrowed it down to a

Centrepin

Gosa

Spinfisher

Or a baitrunner of somekind

It also depends on where you are and how big you anticipate the snapper to be.

E.g. a common setup for Sydney would be:

6'6-7'6 snapper rod 5-8kg/6-8kg - Shimano raider 5-8kg 7'6 is nice and doubles up as a general use rod as well 

4000/5000 size reel with 20LB braid. From Siennas to Stella's, I think you would find most do the job, just a case of how nice, how tough, baitrunners/no baitrunner, how impervious to water intrusion it is...

Then you might go to bigger classes of snapper - heavier rods, reels and braid (that's what I think of when I think of Penn spinfishers and slammers, and Saragosas).

Lastly, how would you fish? Soaking baits? Micro jigging? You might find some versatility with the lighter setup mentioned above to double up to (comfortably) work jigs as well as soak baits. Or perhaps go down the path of a dedicated micro jigging rod (e.g. 6' jigging rod PE1-3, high speed reel + multi colour braid 20LB).

Maybe bring a range of gear you already have/can borrow (assuming you have a light, medium and heavy setup) and see how you go on the day, the size of fish encountered and style you prefer - then you can focus on dealing with any limitations you experienced to inform your next purchase and you might be pleasantly surprised with the gear you already have! (Like I was when I was soaking a cube of pilchard on my 2-4kg rod with 4LB braid - hooked up and landed a 75cm mulloway! Such a joy and effortless to use the light rod - though there was no structure to bust me off on).

Edited by anthman

best setups I own are pretty new but I like them both

Stradic fl 2500 with daiwa hyper 1-3kg 

Shimano saragosa 25000 with shimano terez 100lb

With these 2 setups I can fish anywhere I want for whatever I want with whatever method I want. And thats what I like about it.

My setups each serve a different purpose (either based on location or species or both), so in a way they're all my best setup's.

No 2 setups I have serve the same purpose as I have got rid of those (except maybe the kids gear, both kids have similar setup).

4 hours ago, JAKSShark said:

Thanks guys yes im thinking down the path shimano raider 5-8kg 7ft6 with a 4000 or 5000 spinfisher or daiwa bg

Keep in mind a 4000 Daiwa BG is much bigger than a 4000 Shimano. In my post, I was suggesting Shimano sizes, so maybe a 3000 sized Daiwa BG. Just check out how the combo feels in store if you can. The raider rod is fairly light so can be off balanced quote easily with a heavy metal reel.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, anthman said:

Keep in mind a 4000 Daiwa BG is much bigger than a 4000 Shimano. In my post, I was suggesting Shimano sizes, so maybe a 3000 sized Daiwa BG. Just check out how the combo feels in store if you can. The raider rod is fairly light so can be off balanced quote easily with a heavy metal reel.

Ok thanks anthman