What is the best gear you own

JAKSShark

Hello raiders just a discussion what is the most expensive or most reliable combo you own. And why would you recommend that combo to others?Also what the best fish you caught on that combo is.

Btw if you think my topics are a waste of time lmk reply below and tell me

Edited by JAKSShark

What's the most expensive would be pretty simple to say, what's the "best" might not relate to price, similarly, what you use the most, might not be the most expensive, or the best, like Rick I also have a set of US made Spinfishers on various Snapper rods, decades old and still operating perfectly, but, my most used would be a rod I made, with an old Shakespeare reel that I use on the rocks, the beach, in a local lagoon for Carp and to me, it's probably the "best" because I use it so often, I am going to fish for Tailor off the beach this afternoon with it, saw some decent ones in a huge school off the beach yesterday.

• Like 2

The term best isn't easily defined.

Is it the "best' you can afford?

Is it the "best" and most expensive?

Is it what works the "best"?

Anyway you dont need the "best" equipment to catch fish but having the best knowledge will help you more.

I would rather know the best rig tying methods, the best understanding of the target species habitat & what bait or lure they will prefer to take over the best rod & reel combo.

Personally I wouldn't get caught up in the expense side of fishing, that is unless you have the coin to buy $1200 rods & reels.

Buy what you can afford, obtain knowledge & just get the best life experience & enjoyment you can out of your time on the water.

I have seen plenty of people over the years that have the coin to buy the most expensive gold clubs but couldn't hit a ball, or the most expensive snow ski's that couldn't do a parallel or even snow plough properly!

Have a look at this thread-

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 3

My most used rod and reel for Snapper etc would be a Silstar cristal tip 7 foot rod and 650 Penn spinfisher also years old, The rod I mostly use now for the bay and also Bass etc is my custom made 2-4 kg stCrox blank with all Fuji gear with a 2500 Daiwa Capricorn reel for squid I have a cheap very light no name rod and light Shamano reel. My other favorites would be A B U rods and various reels. Beach I have a few 12'ers and up to 14 ' with Alveys and my trusty Martin reel.

Too many outfits to name here.

Frank

39 minutes ago, JAKSShark said:

I am looking a combo for snapper offshore what would you recommend? There seems to be a lot of people liking penn spinfishers for snapper? May i ask why?

If you can find an old US made Spinfisher, they will outlast you, but, by today's standards, they are quite heavy, don't have 20kg of drag or 90 bearings! that said, for .snapper and general fishing, who cares?

38 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Thirty years and thousands of fish is why i prefer spinfishers   i have 6 of them  i have also been trying newer smaller reels and lighter rods for reds  but i keep goin back

well like @rickmarlin62 i've put 30yrs on some of my Penn's and they are still going strong and catching fish but unlike Rick - I have not caught thousands of fish 😞 ... still trying though.

Ok so heavy offshore bottom bashing 4 x Penn 950SSM matched with Penn Ultima rods, estuary fishing 2 x Penn Captiva one on 7ft Silstar crystal tip,  the other on a shimano rod, 2 x Shimano 6100 bait runners one on Penn and the other on Silstar rod, Trolling 2 x Penn 330GGTi, 2 x Penn 45GLS, 1 x Penn 340GTi fitted to 3 Penn rods and 2 Jervis Walker rods .... and so on.

So Penn features heavily in my arsenal - have caught just about everything to marlin on the gear - look after it and it just lasts. May not have all the bells and whistles, the smoothest gears or the most drag, but it just gets the job done - over and over and over again .....

Cheers ZoranPenn 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

Appreciate the replies guys what do you think... i have a saragosa and love it may buy another or a saltiga or do you think for snapper and reef fish a penn spinfisher i am better because value for money?

Edited by JAKSShark

11 hours ago, JAKSShark said:

Hello raiders just a discussion what is the most expensive or most reliable combo you own. And why would you recommend that combo to others?Also what the best fish you caught on that combo is.

Btw if you think my topics are a waste of time lmk reply below and tell me

Horses for courses JAKSShark. Looks like you have got some good replies to your post. 

In respect of whether your topics are a waste of time?    I'll lyk if so. bn                         LOL

• Thanks 1

I guess to kind of put it another way, a Mercedes is nice, but a Commodore will still get you to the shop just the same, so, your Saltiga might be a joy to use, for Snapper, a Spinfisher will be more than capable of catching any Snapper.

• Like 1

Does the penn spinfisher cast well? Because it maybe double up for landbased use? If not then i have plenty others i use for land.

Just wondering because apparently some of the penns the part that holds the line is flat on the underneath of the top whereas the saragosa is angled so it releases the line smoother and without tangles? 

If you have found that with penns i would love to know

ive got a couple of Stellas- a 4000 that is 8 years old and cops an absolute flogging and a 20000 that tends to stay at home, ive also got 2 Saragosa's a 10000 that cops an absolute flogging and a 6000 thats rapidly becoming a boat favourite- Sara's are excellent value for money, the Stella is smooth as silk and has never been serviced in any way shape or form and is well loved by all who use it. I have never owned a Penn Spinfisher- I seem to remember that the original US made ones had a legendary status when they were around but that a few issues became apparent when they shifted production to Asia. I also understand that the new Penns are very nice reels and the ones ive felt in shops seem prety good at first glance. Personally i dont think i would buy more Stella's as I do find the Sara's remarkably good value for money but if i was going for a GT or a NZ big king trip then the big Stella would be first reel packed. Horses for courses

Centrepin reels 4 me.

Have cheap ($2.50) Steelites through to more expensive hand made models but the touch/connection you have when playing a fish is 100% reeltime touch. Priceless.

KB

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Koalaboi said:

Centrepin reels 4 me.

Have cheap ($2.50) Steelites through to more expensive hand made models but the touch/connection you have when playing a fish is 100% reeltime touch. Priceless.

KB

Thx for the feedback guys 

I have never used a centrepin reel...never even really seen one in action can they handle big fish?

Use them for blackfish and flathead etc. that being said, sidecast reels are a type of centrepin and have been used for bigger fish.

I have added some pictures of the most popular centrepin reels. The first, an Avon Royal the deluxe centrpin from the past, second a Steelite and 3rd the Alvey sidecast with a star drag system and used for bigger fish like jewfish off the beach.

KB

Capturekla.JPG

download.jpg

Capturemnnba.JPG

Edited by Koalaboi
Grammar and add pictures
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

Centrepin reels 4 me.

Have cheap ($2.50) Steelites 

Mate they may have been $2.50 in 1931 but they are worth a bit more now as collectors items 😉

Model 1869's are going anywhere from $35-$50 depending on condition!

5 hours ago, JAKSShark said:

Thx for the feedback guys 

I have never used a centrepin reel...never even really seen one in action can they handle big fish?

Hell yes... I landed a bluefin off the rocks on an Alvey. Admittedly one of the Alveys that has a drag system though.

4 hours ago, joshGTV said:

Hell yes... I landed a bluefin off the rocks on an Alvey. Admittedly one of the Alveys that has a drag system though.

Awesome thanks

So ive narrowed it down to a

Centrepin

Gosa

Spinfisher

Or a baitrunner of somekind

13 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Mate they may have been $2.50 in 1931 but they are worth a bit more now as collectors items 😉

Model 1869's are going anywhere from $35-$50 depending on condition!

You're right there, prices have risen~ though I wasn't around in 1931! I bought my first Steelite in the early 1970s for $2.50. Have seen them at markets up this way for around $10 to $15.

KB