Stacer 429 Rampage Review

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Hi folks,

I thought I write up a review of my tinny. I’ve had it 4 years now and used it quite a lot so feel I can speak with some authority on its capabilities.

make: stacer 

model: rampage 429 tiller (unpainted).

Year of manufacture: 2016

factory add ons: wide gunnels, spare trailer tyre.

outboard: Suzuki DT30 2 stroke electric (manual trim).

cost (new from dealer) $12500

after market add ons: Lowrance elite 7ti, lowrance dsc radio, nav lights, minn Kota 56lbs ipilot, 100amp hour deep cycle battery for electric, custom bow mount bracket, Custom drivers seat with suspension, bimini, bearing buddies, safety gear, professional installation. 

After market add ons cost: $7000

total cost (new): $19500

use: inshore/light offshore

Pros:

great for solo or 2 man fishing use (easy to load and unload, lots of fishing space). Can accomodate 4 passengers comfortably for cruising(not fishing). Very dry riding, front chines and hull design keep spray off crew.

cons:

not powerful enough to pull a tube. 2 stroke is loud at high revs. Floor does need to be removed periodically to check for dropped metal tackle. Not practical for live bait tank. Trailer has gal nuts and bolts (not stainless). Trailer lights have failed and I had to replace brake lights.

overall rating out of 10? I give it a 9. 

would I recommend? Yes absolutely it’s a great versatile boat that is good value for money.

BF7B47BE-300A-41D5-A8FC-C638404B87A5.jpeg

Nice set up, really like the gunnels, I miss having them in my old girl.

I also like how you just have 2 seats, leaving the space in the centre open.

The driver's seat sound great, although I cant see it under the towel & life jackets 😅

I need an electric motor, I think its the next thing I would add.

Thanks for the look, its certainly gives food for thought on what add on would be good in your own boat 👍

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Guest Guest123456789
2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice set up, really like the gunnels, I miss having them in my old girl.

I also like how you just have 2 seats, leaving the space in the centre open.

The driver's seat sound great, although I cant see it under the towel & life jackets 😅

I need an electric motor, I think its the next thing I would add.

Thanks for the look, its certainly gives food for thought on what add on would be good in your own boat 👍

Here is the seat set up. I can’t take credit for it a metal fabricator attached the bracket to the bench seat.459AB7BA-B8BB-4A8F-B20F-8FFFCECD333F.thumb.jpeg.fa1dd7e4016650de56a8b2835d5c3868.jpeg

40B30A21-9CF8-41D3-9136-9CEAE1A6A95C.thumb.jpeg.faa171e08c1eadb01771b59c21e5feaf.jpeg

D9CD92EF-C754-491D-83F2-D281B99D30DE.thumb.jpeg.6712b406a13dc5eac68aa9cc8827ead8.jpeg

Electric motor is an investment- the motor itself $2800, the battery $250, wiring $300 and bracket $600. Its great but unless you’re cashed up (which I’m not) probably not worth it. I would have spent that money on a larger 4 stroke motor if I had my time again. Then I could take the kids tubing when they get older.

3 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Electric motor is an investment- the motor itself $2800, the battery $250, wiring $300 and bracket $600. Its great but unless you’re cashed up (which I’m not) probably not worth it. I would have spent that money on a larger 4 stroke motor if I had my time again. Then I could take the kids tubing when they get older.

You can do it on the cheap with a tiller steer motor which costs a few hundred. Just reverse the handle and use a tiller extension attachment. I got an aluminium welder to make up a bracket for under $100 and did the wiring myself. Ie it's a bow mount but I have to steer by hand. It's hard to do without an electric for some types of lure fishing.

As others have said nice rig mate.I thought you'd be happy with the 30 as my quinny goes real well with the 3 of us heavy weights running a 30 yam smoker.Don't be too harsh on yourself and enjoy your boat for what it is.I had the option of wide funnels on my quinny but elected not to and just run rails.My rod holders, baitboard,etc are rail mounted. I also couldn't justify t the expense of a electric outboard and people still caught fish using lures before they were even invented too.

I keep thinking of selling mine but can't think of a reason too as it suits us fine and costs bugger all to own,run,maintain.

Enjoy your boat mate.