Older Savage Alumacraft Boat Serial/HIN Numbers

Heath Watts

Hi there, I am looking for any information on Savage Aluma-craft boats manufactured in the old Williamstown factory in the 1980's. I have an old Savage Osprey and I can't find a HIN number. It has a Savage serial number O1041. The current Savage company says that they are unable to help me find a date of manufacture for my boat. Can anyone help please?

savage_O1041.jpg

• Like 1

You need to try & give is more details like length of the boat,

A picture of the boat-someone could identify the model & that could give a better ballpark year

Is this the only other piece of identification, no model stickers etc?? 

I know O stands for runabout its what the 1041 means?

Savages have been around for 122 years & were bought by Telwater in 2008 so not surprised Telwater dont have the info.

How did you get the info you already have like where is was made & the approx year??

Edited by kingie chaser

Thanks for replying to my post. I have got some photos which I will try to upload. Savage Osprey 4.7. The motor is at least the second motor....Yamaha Australia was able to date it as a 2008 model. I found a slightly smaller boat online with exactly the same colours and basic layout which was dated as a 1985 model. O1041 is on the id plate riveted to the transom - in the picture above. This number is also punched onto the port side rail near the stern.

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

Hi,

Welcome aboard.

Where did you buy the boat ?

Did you receive any paper work with the boat ?

I would contact the RMS in NSW and Victoria. Tell them about the boat and that ID Number.

Good Luck.

Edited by Rebel

On 6/11/2020 at 10:14 PM, Heath Watts said:

Thanks for replying to my post. I have got some photos which I will try to upload. Savage Osprey 4.7. The motor is at least the second motor....Yamaha Australia was able to date it as a 2008 model. I found a slightly smaller boat online with exactly the same colours and basic layout which was dated as a 1985 model. O1041 is on the id plate riveted to the transom - in the picture above. This number is also punched onto the port side rail near the stern.

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

I've tried to do as much research as I can for you but if the manufacturer cant even tell you then its a pretty hard to call it.

The number usually tell the story, like 10th month but then you get 41, its obviously not from 1941!

Are you just curious or is it for rego?

Im sure you can get it re registered without the year, they will just take the info you have & put a new VIN plate on it. 

Thanks very much for replying to my post. I want to insure the boat with third party insurance and get some liability cover for water skiing. The insurers I have spoke to until now have been reluctant to insure me when I told them that my boat was probably made in the 1980's. I don't want to be in the situation where an insurer refuses to pay out in the event of an accident because I got the age of the boat incorrect. Another member suggested I ask Service Tasmania when the boat was first registered - I will try this first instance I can get an early hour out of work. Thanks again.

On 6/13/2020 at 4:29 PM, Rebel said:

Hi,

Welcome aboard.

Where did you buy the boat ?

Did you receive any paper work with the boat ?

I would contact the RMS in NSW and Victoria. Tell them about the boat and that ID Number.

Good Luck.

Thanks for replying to my post. I bought the boat in Hobart Tasmania. It has papers and was registered at the time of purchase. I have since changed the boat into my name but I have not been able to find any information on the rego papers about the age of the boat. I am going to go to Service Tasmania and ask when it was first registered the first day I can get out of work early.

HI

I had a few issues trying to get insurance by trying to identify my old boat. In the end, I just winged it and

went with the closest I could find. Try the NRMA website, they take you through a list of boats/years and you'll

get pretty close. I guess, if there is an issue, could it be proved that what you insure it as, isn't what it actually is?