Saved the day with dolphins

JonD

One of those days where you are pushed for time and take on too much (thanks to a very persuasive eldest daughter).  It's hard to knock back time spent with them, but when you get talked into heading 50k offshore to chase 80kg tuna; leaving at 10am; but have to be back by 2.30pm, you feel slightly under the gun. It was a real weird day. Once we got around 30k offshore we encountered  brisk SE winds, big swell and breaking white wind chop. I didn't have time to fit the clears, so had wave after wave of cold water soaking me and my dash (plotter decided to take the day off because of it!!!). Due to what seemed to be worsening conditions, I decided to pull lures in the home direction but soon gave up on that.

As soon as we got back to the shelf area, the water was unbelievably glassy (which matched the given forecast for the day). We soon spotted numerous patches of gannets feeding, so headed over to investigate. It seemed there were no big pelagic fish feeding on the bait, so we turned our focus on trying to grab a decent dolphin picture instead of fishing. My daughter managed to get some truly envious shots, that put these of mine to shame. I blame the fact that driving the boat and being under the canopy restrict me too much. Anyway, I did get a few shots that made the effort of travelling all that distance seem a little worth while.

_JDP3040.jpg.d9bea41ea0b9264ddbec6470d27d13c8.jpg

_JDP3053.jpg.c52857949b0bbb99413728b6aff80383.jpg

_JDP3068.jpg.37ed911578fbbdae61ac4f548588f096.jpg

_JDP3099.jpg.f1f145d29f3c97b38bb975d7be4419a1.jpg

_JDP3112.jpg.f7e81032917bfe1103dfdad750ef6ffd.jpg

_JDP3206.jpg.68f43e370930b382d2bfaf775ec0afa2.jpg

_JDP3274.jpg.e38989799e30776712e376a41cd5e67a.jpg

_JDP3404.jpg.f49acfa5ad980800a65deb78aef0d00c.jpg

• Like 7

Wow, if your daughters put those pics to shame they must be amazing!

Looks like a juvenile amongst them?

It would be incredible to be near one of those huge schools of 100's of them when they are migrating/chasing food!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Jon. If you consider them shots inferior I would love to see your daughters.

That water you could almost ski on it. I once went from Bermi to the island in dead flat conditions like a mill pond, fished a couple of hours and went back in extremely bumpy conditions, it came from nowhere in no time flat. What they say " the calm before the storm ".

Frank

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, frankS said:

Jon. If you consider them shots inferior I would love to see your daughters.

That water you could almost ski on it. I once went from Bermi to the island in dead flat conditions like a mill pond, fished a couple of hours and went back in extremely bumpy conditions, it came from nowhere in no time flat. What they say " the calm before the storm ".

Frank

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Wow, if your daughters put those pics to shame they must be amazing!

Looks like a juvenile amongst them?

It would be incredible to be near one of those huge schools of 100's of them when they are migrating/chasing food!

This is one of hers, she says it looks like Sid the sloth from the movie Ice Age!!!

IMG_4375.thumb.JPG.5382e55db48b27c85f38456e1d73aead.JPG

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JonD said:

This is one of hers, she says it looks like Sid the sloth from the movie Ice Age!!!

IMG_4375.thumb.JPG.5382e55db48b27c85f38456e1d73aead.JPG

Nice, I presume at times she would use the motor drive setting or it might be called burst these days on these type of speed/moving pictures.

I know I used to use.mine a fair bit on my old 35mm when taking pictures of racing cars or similar action shots 

• Like 1

This is the thing about weather, windy on the coast, and a few kms away, it is almost calm and flat seas. 

With a big southerly buster, everyone cops it!!!

Great photos. I fished south of Sydney yesterday for bugger all, but had humpbacks jumping and fin slapping near my boat. And tourists pay to see this happening. 🙂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wchh said:

Are those photos copyrighted? My goodness, I can’t help but thinking about using them as my profile photo!

well done!

I don't mind you using mine but maybe not my daughters image.