Float assist anchor retrieve

blaxland

Hi Raiders,

Setting up my float retrieve anchor first time and I fish mostly solo any special tips. Ive gone lighter on the chain than what the boat came with and rope as well will this make a big difference? Just want to tie up to the  odd reef not ride out a storm.

13 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

A lot of this was covered here in your previous post

cheers Zoran 

Thanks mate I forgot that post but have read through it, Guess what Im asking is, if the reef anchor is designed to pull free if reefed is it OK to run smaller diameter rope and chain than on my main anchor. I will be throwing from the side as scratchies suggested, Anyway Ima going with what I got and if I have to will upgrade rope and chain.

It really depends on rope breaking strain and weight of chain, your boat weight and the conditions you are anchoring in.  (a double braid small diameter may be as strong as your main rope, a thinner but  longer chain may still put the right angle on the anchor Etc etc ). 
We really need a bit more info. 
The other consideration is manageability- a thin rope will be harder on the hands for sure. 
cheers Zoran 

Slightly thinner rope wont be hard on hands  thats wot the float system is for   make sure your lead rope is only long enough to come back in cab   have loop on end  drop anchor  drift or reverse away when nearly back to where you want to tie off attach float let out rest of rope to length then double rope thru loop  pull tight  deploy   when retrieving  just pull on anchor rop a bit and the nose will naturally turn to side of rope  drive past  speed up  float will probably pull under  keep going till float comes up then starts bobbing at anchor chain  stop turn round idle towards float  pull in anchor rope   easy peasy   make sure chain is attached to front of anchor  yhen cable tie to rear    i use solid mooloolaba pick style   not a fan of weak spider type reef anchors  i fish nasty reef all the time and havnt lost one in 9yrs    as a side note  i use parramatta rope  in a 4.8 vsea  never had an issue   some days i migjt pull anchor and move 6 or 8 times  this system is easy   no goin out front or ppening hatches  no pulling up heavy anchor by hand

• Like 2

Thanks everybody think I have under gunned I have a 5.3 m cuddy and Im using two ropes spliced together from my old 4.3 mtr and 5 meters of 5mm chain to a 10mm reef hook. Its not my main anchor and plan to drop it over the side and tie to bowline when im set. 

10 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Slightly thinner rope wont be hard on hands  thats wot the float system is for   make sure your lead rope is only long enough to come back in cab   have loop on end  drop anchor  drift or reverse away when nearly back to where you want to tie off attach float let out rest of rope to length then double rope thru loop  pull tight  deploy   when retrieving  just pull on anchor rop a bit and the nose will naturally turn to side of rope  drive past  speed up  float will probably pull under  keep going till float comes up then starts bobbing at anchor chain  stop turn round idle towards float  pull in anchor rope   easy peasy   make sure chain is attached to front of anchor  yhen cable tie to rear    i use solid mooloolaba pick style   not a fan of weak spider type reef anchors  i fish nasty reef all the time and havnt lost one in 9yrs    as a side note  i use parramatta rope  in a 4.8 vsea  never had an issue   some days i migjt pull anchor and move 6 or 8 times  this system is easy   no goin out front or ppening hatches  no pulling up heavy anchor by hand

Thanks Rick are you saying put the float on at the start straight avfer your hooked up. I thought you only put it out at the end?

Attach float n clip just before you are at lenght and ready to tie off   the float acts as suspension on the anchor line   when leaving  jusy pull on rope  drive round float amd pull off lead rope attached to bow   if anchor doesn pop and pulls dead tight it will only make boat turn round   if you tie off on nack it can pull transom under water

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blaxland said:

So I did it all seems to work fine any tips on the chain not ruining your paint I deploy over the gunnel?

Lift all the chain with anchor and lower it while leaning out a little. It shows this in some of the videos. On retrieval, same thing but in reverse.