Berleying tips

Gengar

I have tried berleying a few times but i must be doing something wrong as it doesnt seem to have any noticeable difference.

Here is what i do. I generally fish off a wharf. I generally have two rods, one is a heavier rod with a float and the other is a light rod usually to catch yakka or leather jackets. Berley is half a loaf of bread crumbs usually with some leftover fish. I chuck a couple handfuls straight down from thw wharf every 10 or 15 min or so. Then i fish my lighter rod in the berley trail.

(1) how much berley do you chuck in and how often?

(2) i sometimes mix in a prawn mix i buy from a local tackle shop or cat food but again no meaningful difference

(3) should a use a berley pot and leave all the berley in it?

(4) any other tips or advice?

If catching bait bread works well mixed in a bucket of sea water into a slurry.

For attracting other fish I prefer to use either a bought frozen log or a home made version & use in a berley pot which are home made.

It's a slow release & will last a few hours usually.

After testing these I did make the holes larger.

Goog luck.

Burley pots.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Thanks kingie. For bread bait do u also use a berley pot as well? If u do how deep do u have it in the water?

For the frozen log what do u put in them?

Sorry for so many questions! Just trying to learn more!

16 minutes ago, Gengar said:

Thanks kingie. For bread bait do u also use a berley pot as well? If u do how deep do u have it in the water?

For the frozen log what do u put in them?

Sorry for so many questions! Just trying to learn more!

No probs.

No reason why you couldnt put bread in them but as I am a chef I used to be able bring a heap of fish & seafood offcuts home & chop it all up & mix with bread & tuna oil, freezer in a cylinder shape.

I also made those pots so those bought berley logs just fit straight in.

I did try the whole dog food pellet thing but they just swell up & dont break down that well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...gengar,the idea of berley is to bring the fish to you,the only way to do that is to constantly berley.if you berley every 10-15 minutes,you make a big cloud of berley,it drifts away in the current and takes the fish away with it.

Hmmmm guess either i should chuck in burley more often or put it in a bucket. Prob easier in a bucket as i sometimes i forget to chuck in burley!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, motiondave said:

Ive tested and used a few burleys, 
also ,i cast down stream of the burley trail

I use a cheap plastic burley bucket from BigW, I stuff the burley in, usually its frozen, and toss the bucket via a length of rope into the water and leave it there, if I dont get much action after 30 mins, I sometimes move to another spot, obviously still burley up. 

fish guts from fish shop, usually free if you buy something as they toss it out anyway.
Ive used that chopped up some more, Ive mixed bread bits in, bread crumbs. 

Mashed pilchards and bread, 

Left over prawn shells and heads from a home feed of prawns, 

Not really sure what does and does not work, they all seem to do ok, fish guts is cheapest being free.
Sometimes the fish are just fussy and they dont even take a variety of baits.

overall, it does improve the strike rate, even if its little stuff that I can use as live baits.

double edit, you are fishing from a wharf, so disregard the move spots....

Thanks Dave. That all makes sense. I havent tried freezing everything to make the burley before......usually i mix everything together then chuck it in. Let me get a berly pot and try that! Also how deep do u have the berley pot? Do u try and keep it closer to the top, middle or at the bottom?

Hi Gengar.  I mostly fish from my boat but do fish from shore and wharves to collect live baits.

If wharf fishing for bream etc, occasionally throwing small hadfulls of chook pellets out can help.  The pellets will sink to buttom and slowly soften and break up.  You can also mix a little tuna or pilchard oil in them as well.

For yakkas and mullet its hard to beat good old white bread broken up in a bucket with some water with optional fish oil added.  To make things easier and less messy you can get burly/bait scoops on a long handle and flick a little bit out every 5 mins or so.    I got mine from that big online site where you can find them from $5 to $197 (seriously) but mine was $6.  If you get extendable one with chromed handle wash and wd40 after use or they rust pretty quickly.   Maybe the  $197 ones last longer?  LOL.

I have been putting some of my tips up in Workshop area.  I will put up a couple of burly dispensers there tomorrow.    Ron 

11 hours ago, motiondave said:

@Gengar, Ive burley from a wharf, but not much in the past, the burley would eventually float down towards the bottom, so Id let it hang in the water, maybe a foot or two down.... I didnt try different depths. I would look at the current flow and try to estimate, hence tossing lines out at different distances to see where the buggers are nibbling. 
As I am now in a boat, i Just toss it in the water, maybe it sinks a foot or two.

Freezing is just to make it all stick together and last longer. Ive tossed in a fresh lot of burley, just floats away a bit quicker.

Ok thanks for the tip. I just got myself a berley pot and gonna try next tjme i am ok.

3 hours ago, campr said:

Hi Gengar.  I mostly fish from my boat but do fish from shore and wharves to collect live baits.

If wharf fishing for bream etc, occasionally throwing small hadfulls of chook pellets out can help.  The pellets will sink to buttom and slowly soften and break up.  You can also mix a little tuna or pilchard oil in them as well.

For yakkas and mullet its hard to beat good old white bread broken up in a bucket with some water with optional fish oil added.  To make things easier and less messy you can get burly/bait scoops on a long handle and flick a little bit out every 5 mins or so.    I got mine from that big online site where you can find them from $5 to $197 (seriously) but mine was $6.  If you get extendable one with chromed handle wash and wd40 after use or they rust pretty quickly.   Maybe the  $197 ones last longer?  LOL.

I have been putting some of my tips up in Workshop area.  I will put up a couple of burly dispensers there tomorrow.    Ron 

Hi Ron, i am trying to get yakkas. Sometimes they are there but sometimes nowhere to be seen. I prob dont do it consistent enough as i forget to chuck in the berley. When  u chuck in 5 min apart is the strike rate pretty good in getting yakka to turn up?

Just white bread with water so its kinda of like a thick paste?

Edit: by the way where is the workshop area?

Edited by Gengar

Didnt get to do new post will try tomorrow.  Workshop just above boating section.

You can catch slimies the same way as yakkas with smàll baited hook but they are more common on close offshore reefs. They will go a string of bait jigs much better than yakkas and a good school can result in a full striger of baits.

Burly pots work best when there is some current to agitate the contents.  Alternatively give rope a shake occasionally or if water is choppy, set it just under the surface so waves keep it working.  Ron