Jervis Bay

jackell

G'Day Jackell

If you're after a land-based spin with SP's in the Husky area then I suggest you either try the Husky river, or, even better, Sussex Inlet. If you're feeling adventurous you could even rent a little tinny to drift Sussex Inlet in.

I have not personally found a better shore-based flathead producing area than Sussex Inlet. If you fish it over the turn of the tide and work all the usual areas (drop offs, weed beds etc) you'll be unlucky not to come away with a flatty or two.

I don't know of any good land-based spots for flatties etc within Jervis Bay itself - it's just too big. Keep to the estuaries and you'll score.

Mondo

Hi Jackell,

I was down there a few weeks ago and the bay was pretty dead. Went on a charter and they reckoned it was still to cold for much to be happening. Chuck a squid jig or two in your kit as there are plenty of squid around. Close to Huskisson try the mouth of the Moona Moona Creek. There are some rocks on the left of it that get expose, try from there on the run out for some flatties just where the sand ends (south side). If that fails try the north side for a few squid as there is a good weed bed there.

I also tried the mouth of Currambene Creek (which is right at the Huskisson township) but there were far too many rays around. Biggest one would have been nearly 2 meters across, not something you want on an SP rig. As nothing was biting I ended up burling them in close for a better look. May be good if you have a few kids tagging along.

You should also check out http://www.mpa.nsw.gov.au/jbmp/ag-home.htm as there are some fishing restictions due to the Marine Parks down there.

It's a great spot though, have fun.

KaneMc

Guest maraudingmado

Try up the Currumbene creek a little bit towards Wondabyne. There is a boat ramp on the right up the road a bit from Husky and a wharf. It's worth a try. Have caught good bream, flathead, flounder and blue swimmer crabs. Another place was Summercloud Bay on the southern side of the bay but I think it has become a sanctuary :1badmood::1badmood: . Used to be a great place for all kinds of fish including kingies and tuna apart from the bread and butter species

I have not personally found a better shore-based flathead producing area than Sussex Inlet. If you fish it over the turn of the tide and work all the usual areas (drop offs, weed beds etc) you'll be unlucky not to come away with a flatty or two.

Totally agree, my best thre is 8 keepers in an hour just walking the banks

Summercloud bay is under Aboriginal land council control as I understand it, and is not an option for shore-based fishermen. In any event I would recommend all Raiders to avoid ever leaving their cars in the Summercloud car park as the locals have very sticky fingers - the rate of break-ins for me is 2 out of my three trips there.

I won't be going back unless I get a lift with someone else!!

Mondo

Hi Raiders,

I am also heading down to Jervis Bay over the Chrissie break and will be taking the boat down for a bit of fishing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on some fishing spots with the boat. The area seems quite resticted having viewed the map on the Marine Parks Authority web site.

I plan to use the Murrays beach boat ramp as I will be staying in Sanctuary Point. Ill take any suggestions for the Basin too as I will be fishing there as well. Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Kypreos

Summercloud bay is under Aboriginal land council control as I understand it, and is not an option for shore-based fishermen. In any event I would recommend all Raiders to avoid ever leaving their cars in the Summercloud car park as the locals have very sticky fingers - the rate of break-ins for me is 2 out of my three trips there.

I won't be going back unless I get a lift with someone else!!

Mondo

Mondo the secret is to leave the car unlocked with a $5 not on the dash, seriously...this is the deal. Your car will be safe if you do this. BTW Currembine creek @ Husky is now a sanctuary from what i am led to believe

Hi Raiders,

I am also heading down to Jervis Bay over the Chrissie break and will be taking the boat down for a bit of fishing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on some fishing spots with the boat. The area seems quite resticted having viewed the map on the Marine Parks Authority web site.

I plan to use the Murrays beach boat ramp as I will be staying in Sanctuary Point. Ill take any suggestions for the Basin too as I will be fishing there as well. Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Kypreos

HI mate hows things... i been pretty quiet lately have had other commitments that have stopped me fishing. I dont know Jervis well so i cant help but good luck and let me know if you get anything :thumbup:

Guest maraudingmado

BTW Currembine creek @ Husky is now a sanctuary from what i am led to believe

Fair dinkum is everything down there protected from us evil anglers :1badmood::1badmood:

Why pay for a RFL when since the introduction of them the fishing places available have been significantly reduced :mad3::mad3::mad3:

I don't mind paying for a RFL if I get value for money. All I see is places I like to fish become no go zones :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

BTW Currembine creek @ Husky is now a sanctuary from what i am led to believe

Fair dinkum is everything down there protected from us evil anglers :1badmood::1badmood:

Why pay for a RFL when since the introduction of them the fishing places available have been significantly reduced :mad3::mad3::mad3:

I don't mind paying for a RFL if I get value for money. All I see is places I like to fish become no go zones :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Mado, i couldn't agree more, it just doesn't add up

Guest maraudingmado

From memory the other side is shallow so don't bother anyhow. I said Wondabyne boat ramp in an earlier post it should have been Wollamai boat ramp(and it's not in protected area)

Guest maraudingmado

No probs Allthegear. I usually take whatever you say as gospel. Your usually on the money. :biggrin2:

And being a regular down that way you have the "local knowledge" of what's happening around God's country. :thumbup: