Jervis Bay - Friday 2 October

Mutt

With the task of feeding 13 people- we set off from Callala Bay ramp at the gentleman hour of 7am.

Thanks to those who helped me out with a few tips, plan was to head towards Middle Ground and see what happens!

While it was a beautiful morning- with me and 4 kids on the boat and a slight swell and breeze- stopped just off Longnose Point and out of the sanctuary zone in about 20m of water.

With salted pilchards and flasher rigs, got the 9 year old into the water first. Went to bait rod number 2 and the 9 year old was already on to a 40cm flathead.

What followed was an hour of bedlam, with me having no time to fish in between baiting, removing fish, re rigging etc.

In between a plague of barracouta the kids all managed to catch 11 keeper flathead up to 58cm.

Mission accomplished and with big smiles we had a leisurely stop at Long Beach for an icy swim, a bit more of a fish off Long Beach (for a few small flathead) and back at the ramp by 10:30am.

Love days like this (even though I didn’t turn a reel!)

Mutt

931BBC0D-BBA0-4096-BA9E-D386DCC673AB.thumb.jpeg.0f2216b1fb09a77516e9ae407c5623ea.jpeg

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Bill Morris said:

Great catch mate. Were you using a paternoster rig when fishing in 20m of water for the flatties?

Hey Bill,

I had snapper rigs on as I thought I’d try and get to a reef but late change of plan we concentrated on flathead. Rigs were flasher rigs in blue and pink with 4/0 hooks.

Hope that helps!

Mutt